load bearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetlag

Reaction score
If you run an interior wall perpendicular to the ceiling joists on a roof system that is designed for a clear span wouldnt that be a non-bearing wall even though the ceiling joist are resting on it. I used 2x6 rafters and 2x8 ceiling joists which the inspector passed for the 18 ft span, on one end I added partition down beside stair case . The reason IM asking is I used a 2x4 flat ways for a door header which is approved for interior non bearing.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
18' sounds like a long span to me for 2x8's if they are 16" on center. I'm not for sure though. According to what you are saying I would agree. Since the header is a load bearing part of the wall, but in your case you are saying it's not load bearing wall. Probably better to just agree with the inspector and get it done the way he or she wants since it's not that much work anyway to install a header. Probably more of a hassle to argue and prove your point than to just do it is what i'm saying.

Jetlag

Reaction score
2x8 to code

18' sounds like a long span to me for 2x8's if they are 16" on center. I'm not for sure though. According to what you are saying I would agree. Since the header is a load bearing part of the wall, but in your case you are saying it's not load bearing wall. Probably better to just agree with the inspector and get it done the way he or she wants since it's not that much work anyway to install a header. Probably more of a hassle to argue and prove your point than to just do it is what i'm saying.

The 2x8 #2 spruce actually pass for 22 ft 4 in by IRC tableR802.4(1) . for ceiling joist on 16" centers . The inspector has not seen the header yet Im just trying to make sure before he comes. If the wall is an interior non bearing the code says it is ok .. I dont plan to argue with inspector if he says change it I will.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
header

If he doesn't like it, just "box it" with 2x4's or 2x6's on edge front and back, with or without a piece of plywood between them as a spacer.

Jetlag

Reaction score
If he doesn't like it, just "box it" with 2x4's or 2x6's on edge front and back, with or without a piece of plywood between them as a spacer.

Yea I wish I had used 2 , 2x4 with plywood between then I wouldnt be worried

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Pull it and be done with it.

It would take less than 30 minutes to pull the first out and rebuild it the other way.

Yes it's not a load bearing wall but any chance you have to support your framing it doesn't hurt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks