Painting a toilet for a sports fan

Users who are viewing this thread

jecarver229

Steeler Fan
Reaction score
I am from the Pittsburgh area, and a big part of Pittsburgh is the Steelers, and a big part of that is a strong animosity for the Browns and Bengals.

That being said, what my brother has asked for this Christmas, is a toilet painted orange... that says Ohio on the bottom... (the O would be part of the drain) and he wants to put Benglals and Browns logo's on it so that he can "poop" on those teams on a daily basis.

Now, I am fairly artistic, so painting this toilet is not a problem, the question I have is what kind of paint or glaze to use so that it doesn't end up chipping?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It may take a day or two for this unusual question.

Toilets are glazed in a kiln.
I've never seen anyone paint one before.

But, I'm sure it could be done.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
It can be painted, but it won't last long submerged underwater. It will tend to peel. I've seen it done once and I wasn't thrilled at the look of it. As it was told to me, it was baked over top the existing color. I'm not really sure about the process though

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you had access to a large enough kiln, you might be able to use glaze, then refire it. If not done carefully, it could shatter. But, if it didn't, it would be as durable as the original finish. It might be a pain to clean, since it probably wouldn't be as smooth, though.

JCturboT

Reaction score
How about using a swimming pool paint?

It is holds up to chlorine in a pool regular toilet water should be a snap.

Jeff

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I would use enamel paints with a clear laquer coat on top.

They would look awesome.

I would definitely use a quality, well-priced toilet for this. Like an American Standard Cadet 3.

Last edited:

Scott

Flushmate
Reaction score
Website
www.flushmate.com
Any of the suggestions would work but the difficulties would not only be finding the right paint/method that would hold up under use for any length of time but ensuring an even application with no rough spots that would impede extraction and leave remnants

Knowing the intention, a few skid marks and stains may be appropriate. :)

I've done some research on custom paint jobs and the only way to make something that will be permanent is to get a manufacturer to paint, glaze, and fire the bowl and even then it's pretty much cost-prohibitive.

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wanna see a pic too!!!!! if it turns out good can i pay you to do me one for dallas

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks