Whats the Rule of Thumb for Bath/Shower Valve hight please

Users who are viewing this thread

K.G14

Reaction score
Hi

I'm installing a Shower/Bath Set

I can't seem to find out what the average measurements are for the Valve body for a New rough in that has a Bathtub.(I have gotten so many Different measurements)

Taymor says

Spout-8"
Valve Body-30
shower head-48"

http://www.taymor.ca/Commerce.Web/Ca... install.pdf

The bathtub...I have to take into account is a (15" Tub-the lip makes it 16"),

How high does the valve body need to be so when you need to add more hot water.

You don't have to stand up just to reach the tap to add water:p

but not so low to when you have a shower you have to reach down to adjust the water.

30" from the Lip of the Tub seems very high to Taymor's instructions

Also the Spout how high off the lip of the tub does it need to be,is 8" really the common height.

I was told 5" for Spout and 13-14" for the Valve Body and the shower head is the size I want from talking to people.

But I have also been told 36" for the Valve body from the floor,my Grandmothers shower is 36" and a few other peoples too????

I have already put the elbow at 81" and the water will come right at my head,it's just the Valve body/spout I'm fighting with as I can't seem to find a 100% right answer to some guidelines .

Any help would be great thanks:)

Just Frustrating:mad:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
There is no real height dimensions, but as common measurement for tub installation only.

30-32" from floor to center valve body
6" from bottom end of valve body to centre of spout
Shower head 90 between 76"-80" from floor to center (depending on the height of the individual using the shower) It may vary. Some folks, are vertically challanged (such as myself) and some folks are over 6' tall

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Are you a "little person", average height, or an NBA center? There are no "generic" heights. It depends on the user and the usage. If you always use it for bathing then the valve will be lower butwhen used mainly for showers it will be higher so you can easily adjust the flow and temperature without getting down on the floor to do it. In other words, put it where you will be comfortable with it.

K.G14

Reaction score
Are you a "little person", average height, or an NBA center? There are no "generic" heights. It depends on the user and the usage. If you always use it for bathing then the valve will be lower butwhen used mainly for showers it will be higher so you can easily adjust the flow and temperature without getting down on the floor to do it. In other words, put it where you will be comfortable with it.

What is Average these days.....15 year olds are 6'3 it seems Haha:confused:

The Tallest person using the Shower would be 5"7

I figure I will do a Few Trial Runs and sit in the tub etc...and just keep moving the Valve Down to where we are happy

I'm shocked at how much of the 2x4 block that is gone:eek:,I hope there is enough support.

Those Male Thread fittings I need,just hope they don't leak

Also I didn't get any screws with the cover but two holes are threaded and the other two are not

On a Side Not(HJ) Have you installed many Taymor sets and what has the reliability been.

Kyle

Last edited:

K.G14

Reaction score
There is no real height dimensions, but as common measurement for tub installation only.

30-32" from floor to center valve body
6" from bottom end of valve body to centre of spout
Shower head 90 between 76"-80" from floor to center (depending on the height of the individual using the shower) It may vary. Some folks, are vertically challanged (such as myself) and some folks are over 6' tall

Thank you:)

I just put the Backer block at 36",I will see how that goes and just move down to those numbers you have given.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
teen ager

quote; 15 year olds are 6'3 it seems Haha

Then you must have seen my grandson, I presume. But, he's handy when I don't want to get the step stool out.

K.G14

Reaction score
quote; 15 year olds are 6'3 it seems Haha

Then you must have seen my grandson, I presume. But, he's handy when I don't want to get the step stool out.

It's just Crazy how tall Kids are now...:cool: So :(

umm could you lend a little more info on my post about the fittings etc,being a Pro Plumber and all.

I'm here to soak up all the info i can:D

What size Screws are used to secure the valve body my instructions have zero info on that and the threaded holes,shame

Also when you go into a house and the customer is small 5"8 & below,would you say you install the Valve body at 33" and the Bath spout at 5"

36" seems to high for us

Thanks

Have a nice night;)

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Think down the road for the resell of your home. While we were looking at houses it was touch and go finding a shower where my husband didn't have to hunch over to use it. Same with beds for him even the longest bed his feet would hang over. We had to build a shower in the basement that he could comfortably use. My youngest son has the same problem, tall & thin. It was very frustrating. Remember too, each generation is getting taller.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The threaded holes are probably for the machined face plate screws that are supposed to come with the unit. The size if the mounting screws would depend on your set up and how you plan your blocking, so that will vary. what ever fits.

I personally use 30" valve body centre from floor. I find most average size folks feel comfortable with that height.. Once you have the valve body secured, then you can measure your spout and shower head from your valve body.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I like my showerhead up very high. To accommodate different people, I chose a handheld on an adjustable bar. Some of those are a joke, some are as good as a standard showerhead. I installed the bar so I can have the head right at the ceiling, but it can be lowered to accommodate a small child. If it is a standalone shower, I tend to stand in the shower and reach out to find a comfortable position to adjust the valve, then put it there. I tend to go at the low end of my comfort zone, since I'm tall, to enable others to reach easily.

Unless you are planning to sell your home in the near-term, put these things where YOU want them, and don't worry about resale. As long as you don't do something silly like put the valve on the ceiling, as long as it can be reached, it won't be a major problem and, if you have lived there for a long time, the new owners will probably want to remodel, and then can put it where they want. A minor inconvenience in the interim may not be worth the aggravation of it not being 'right' for a long time for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks