Extra blocking on engineered joists, no drill zone?

Users who are viewing this thread

XR4ti

Reaction score
I've opened the floor in my master bath where this Rehau pex needs to be split up to accomodate an incoming double vanity.

This portion of the bath is on a 2' overhang. (Where the insulation is seen. On the portion that overhangs, there seems to be 3/4" blocking stapled to the engineered floor joists, on one side. It continues back under the floor for about another two feet.

I'm wondering if that's there for extra strength on the overhang? Anyway, the original plumber did not drill though it, (although there probably wasn't reason to do so..) so I'm wondering if I should avoid it too?

Attachments

• P1010950.jpg
    P1010950.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 512
  • P1010951.jpg
    P1010951.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joists

They are there to provide extra strength for the cantilevered overhang, often it had to go back half the distance of the overhang. There is no reason NOT to drill through them as long as you do it judiciously, especially if you are just drilling small holes for the water piping.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'd say you are ok to drill for the supply lines.

The first thing that concerned me wasn't the drilling so much as the overhang and water piping. I'm assuming this is an overhang to the outside. I see insulation but since you are in there it wouldn't hurt to make sure you are good and frost/freeze protected. It's easier to add more(better) insulation now then deal with frozen lines later down the road.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
If I was doing the job, I would move the lines up through the floor closer to the front of the cabinet and do my added piping above the floor and under the toe kick of the cabinet. This would make them less likely to freeze.

John

XR4ti

Reaction score
If I was doing the job, I would move the lines up through the floor closer to the front of the cabinet and do my added piping above the floor and under the toe kick of the cabinet. This would make them less likely to freeze.

John

That was my original plan. Then my wife picked this cabinet. :eek:

Attachments

• ba5c95d7-73fb-4972-a38e-998364a013ce_300.jpg
    ba5c95d7-73fb-4972-a38e-998364a013ce_300.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 399

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cabinet

You must have given her too many choices. I used to tell husbands that if you give the wife the choice between two things, he won't have a problem. If she has to pick among three or more, then he has a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks