Oatley Hammer Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

yelnats69

Reaction score
Recently, I have noticed a noise in the water pipes, the easiest way to describe it it sounds exactly if the toilet ball valve is leaking or if someone pushed the ball down for a few seconds; I first though was to check all the toilets to make sure the flapper valves were holding, I finally traced the noise to the pipes at the washing machine, every 10 minutes the sound can be heard in the pipe, in the region where the washing machine flexible pipes connects to the house water supply there are two Oakley Hammer arrester valves, at the hot and cold washing machine feed, when these fail do they have any symptoms? could either one of these be causing the noise? or do you think that the washing machine water control valves are leaking,
The noise is exactly every 10 minutes, and sounds like a phiiishhhhed sound. Seems to end with a valve closing Exactly the noise you would expect from the flapper ball valve being pressed.
There are no signs of leaks or where the water (that is if the noise is a rush of water) could be going.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
The hammer arrestors won't make any noise. And if the you're sure the toilets are not the culprits, I've had this problem with noise inside the house and it has turned out to be a vacuum breaker on a hose bib. The hose bib was left on with a hose attached, and a spray nozzle on the hose. The vacuum breaker will make intermittant running sounds, whining sounds, and knocking sounds. Good luck.

yelnats69

Reaction score
Pipe noise

The hammer arrestors won't make any noise. And if the you're sure the toilets are not the culprits, I've had this problem with noise inside the house and it has turned out to be a vacuum breaker on a hose bib. The hose bib was left on with a hose attached, and a spray nozzle on the hose. The vacuum breaker will make intermittent running sounds, whining sounds, and knocking sounds. Good luck.

Hi thanks for the reply,
I would have bet my last penny that is was the toilets, its that exact noise, they make when filling, but I turned all the toilets off, its not a knocking sound, just the water surge noise with an abrupt stop, exactly if a valve opened and closed and its every 10 minutes, I timed it.

:confused: Baffled...Stan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
arrestors

They can ONLY make a noise when a water valve turns off, and even then they are supposed to STOP the noise, not make it. There is no way to diagnose your problem without being there, but unless you have something on a timer, the only source of a "regular" intermittent flow is usually the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks