Black stuff came out of tub spout for first minute or so.........

Users who are viewing this thread

ih8caulk

Reaction score
OK so I found an old thread here forwarded from a Yahoo Answers question.

So, after a customer master shower install, we haven't used shower #2 in a while. This last stretch was about a month. Turned on the hot water today & noticed occasional spurts of black stuff. My jaw dropped. Lasted for about 30 seconds or so and spurted about every 3 or 4 seconds.

14 yr old house
4 yr old GE 12yr heater from HD
Mixet valve

In regards to the black stuff, it appeared to be water soluble as it appeared to dilute in the water and quickly disappeared. No stains, or settling chunks I could hang onto. Wife saw it too, so I definitely wasn't seeing things.

Any insight appreciated.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Is there hydronic heating in your home? Could be from a cross connection between potable and non-potable water if there is no proper backflow prevention device. Thats a bit of a long shot, but I'm bored and thought I would through somethign out there.

Sure is a long shot. If there was a cross connection between the two the boiler pressure would be to high and blowing off the relief valve.

John

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
true enough, I just figured if I threw something out there people might start coming up with realistic scenerios

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
true enough, I just figured if I threw something out there people might start coming up with realistic scenerios

It sounds more like there is a galvanized nipple in the water system.

John

ih8caulk

Reaction score
No, definitely not hydronic heating but nice shot outta' left field for the boredom factor......;)

My guess is it would be stuff(seals?) in the mixet valve for a couple reasons.......

#1.) No other taps in the house are showing such behavior.

#2.) This shower is the 2nd closest thing to the hot water heater besides the washing machine.

I haven't turned the water on since then but my guess is that it'd probably be fine today. I'm going to try & wait 1 week whilst watching the other taps to make sure nothing shows.

But if you twist my arm, I'll turn it on now.

And I'll also tell you what you're getting for Christmas. ;)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hydronic

That is about the "longest shot" possible. One reason, even if it could happen which is astronomically unlikely if not impossible, is that the boiler's feeder is NOT connected to the hot water system. There are many common possibilities when the water has been stagnant in the line for a fairly long time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks