(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boiler Problem

Default Boiler Problem

Am having a problem with my boiler. Its in a duplex house and it feeds cast iron radiators in the second floor only. The boiler fires up OK put the radiators dont get hot, just warm. In the basement the supply pipe is hot but the return lines are just warm. Ive checked the aquastat relay box and the temp in there is set to 180 (low) 200 (hot). Also the pump and reducing valve was changed two weeks ago. Can the problem be the circulation pump? How do I know if its working correctly? When the pump was installed I could feel the water reciculating in the pipes but not anymore. Is the boiler just heating up standing (convection) water and thats why the radiators dont get hot?. The pump is a series Taco 005 pump.

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar

It sounds like you have air in the system . Have you tried bleeding the radiators?

John

Whats the best way to start? Should I go to each radiator and bleed them out for a couple of minutes?

Just do one at a time. Open the vent on each radiator until you get water.

John

Before I bleed the radiators I checked if the radiators were hot, five out of seven were indeed hot. I bleed them any way and I got a little air out of one, the rest water came out right away. Ive included an overhead drawing of the piping. Can the problem be with the pump is it "air locked" because I dont feel any movement in the return piping by the boiler.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jc60618; 12-13-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Turn the thermostat down then bleed the radiators. This will allow the air to go to the high points of the system which will be the radiators. You will not feel any movement in the return piping at the boiler.

John

When I turn the thermostat down should I wait for the system to cool down before bleeding the air out.

No, just bleed the radiators.

John

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jc60618 View Post
    Am having a problem with my boiler. Its in a duplex house and it feeds cast iron radiators in the second floor only. The boiler fires up OK put the radiators dont get hot, just warm. In the basement the supply pipe is hot but the return lines are just warm. Ive checked the aquastat relay box and the temp in there is set to 180 (low) 200 (hot). Also the pump and reducing valve was changed two weeks ago. Can the problem be the circulation pump? How do I know if its working correctly? When the pump was installed I could feel the water reciculating in the pipes but not anymore. Is the boiler just heating up standing (convection) water and thats why the radiators dont get hot?. The pump is a series Taco 005 pump.
    Sounds to me like your circ pump is acting up. If you don't have any leaks i the system or have never had any problems with air before I doubt it's air.

He stated he replaced the cir. and the auto feed two weeks ago. That is more then likely where the air came from.

John

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o1 View Post
    He stated he replaced the cir. and the auto feed two weeks ago. That is more then likely where the air came from.

John
    Ooops sorry sometimes I read through the posts so fast I miss those little tid bits of info

My bad.

Thanks guys I think that solved my problem. I have heat on the two radiators now. By the way how can I tell if the pump is doing its job. The manufacturer of the pump says its real quiet when operating. Also what are some of the common malfuction of circulation pumps. Can something get caught in the impeller preventing it from moving? Finally what does the impeller "spin" is it water or steam? I have gotten different responses from two heating guys?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

It sounds like your system is hot water...if it had steam it wouldn't need a circulator. So, the circulator is moving water.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Previous member

You can usually hear the circ running. Is it installed with the direction of flow correct? Is it wired correct? If it's running, you have an air problem or not enough pressure. Pressure should be 12 - 18 lbs

My system has many circulators and it was tough to tell when a pump was running. They make a slight humm. I was told to take a screwdriver and touch it to the pump and my ear and the sound would be much louder.

Now that just tells you the motor is running, doesn't necesarrily mean it's working!