Drains & Vents in studio addition

Users who are viewing this thread

AKAJIMSTER

Reaction score
I am adding plumbing to a room above our garage and laundry room to be able to rent out as a one room studio. The main lines & branches have already been run by a handyman/plumber friend of a friend and I've got a few concerns about the layout and whether or not I'll have problems with the venting or who knows what else. I know I definitely need to add a cleanout; don't know where the best spot for that would be either. Forget about asking the inspector to have it inspected; I tried the legal route first(getting a permit). Every time I went down to the city to double check requirements, etc., the price went up as did the requirements, which had nothing to do with the plumbing. I've attempted a diagram and looking for feedback and suggestions for improvement. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Plumbing Layout.jpg
    Plumbing Layout.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 614

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Last edited by a moderator:

Psjr56

Reaction score
Wet Venting is not allowed here in my state of Kentucky, which is running the drain of one fixture over another.

It might be legal in the state you are in. Combination waste/vent systems in my area are prone to failure, which ended back in the 60's.

Is the shower the wet vent? Could the a vent for the shower be tied with the others in the attic? I guess the toilet should have a vent too huh?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The shower and the toilet are wet vented.
Wet venting is allowed here but you cannot have a non-bathroom fixture in the middle of a bathroom wet vent. That requirement is based on IPC.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The vent across from the kitchen seems to be a horizontal vent below the flood rim of the fixtures. That would be your biggest no-no . Unless the redbox is saying that the pipe goes vertical to about 42" before going horizontal

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
permit

quote; Every time I went down to the city to double check requirements, etc., the price went up as did the requirements, which had nothing to do with the plumbing.

You sound just like the guys on "Dream house", when they added an addition to their house. When the inspector came out he told them the addition was too close to the property line, they had to move it. They KNEW it had to be 4', but just ASSUMED that the fence was 18" on their side of the line. When they had to move the foundation, they said that they, also, would not get permits for any other work. I guess it is okay to do something "illegal" as long as nobody sees it or catches you doing it. THOSE "requirements" were probably to make sure what you were doing would comply with city requirements. IF so, and one of those requirements was "NO rental apartments in a residential area", you will discover it as soon as one of your neighbors reports it.

AKAJIMSTER

Reaction score
Dunbar - Wet plumbing is allowed here - if done correctly. That's what I wanted to know, whether or not it was done correctly or not.

psjr56 - The vent stack is at the bath sink; the shower and toilet are wet vented from that and the sink in the kitchenette will have a vent going up into the attic and tie in horizontally to the bath sink vent. I don't have enough room at the roof line in the attic to put in the vent lines for the shower and toilet in the wall behind them. What "non-bathroom fixture in the middle of a bathroom wet vent" were you referring to? My city goes by the UPC, if that matters.

jimbo - Yes, both vents go vertical up into the attic.

hj - I think I saw that episode!

The code does allow 2nd units. The city wanted me to go to the expense of hiring an architect to do a complete plot plan showing landscaping, existing layout, etc., etc. I explained to them that the structure already exists(they would not accept pictures accompanied by a detailed & accurate sketchup from a home design program) and nothing on the exterior of the property would change; it would only be the addition of plumbing and other fixtures in the interior of an existing structure. They also wanted me to install a carport in front of my garage along with other misc BS. So, it went from $750 in permits and "no problem" to over $2,500 in permits and at least $4-5,000 in additional work - before I spent anything on the plumbing and other improvements/fixtures on the interior. :eek: That being said, the jackhammering has already been done(took most of a day) with no complaints! The neighbors on my left and right already know what's going on and have no problems with it-one also has a studio they rent out(permitted years ago before the additional requirements). If I do get complaints and the city comes out to have a peek, I just want to make sure the guts are done correctly so there will be no problems with that. I'll worry about the rest if it becomes a problem. So, any wisdom on the plumbing layout?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
What "non-bathroom fixture in the middle of a bathroom wet vent" were you referring to? My city goes by the UPC, if that matters.

The kitchen sink. Under IPC I think it would be under 909.1 but I don't have access to UPC. It's not something that wouldn't work anyway, just one of those code issues thing. I think it came in around '01.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Wet Venting is not allowed here in my state of Kentucky, which is running the drain of one fixture over another.

It might be legal in the state you are in. Combination waste/vent systems in my area are prone to failure, which ended back in the 60's.

That seems odd. This would make venting some bathrooms basically impossible without flat dry vents below the FLR of the fixture they serve.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
UPC did not allow wet venting for many years. I never found a house that I couldn't plumb without running a flat vent. it just takes some extra planning and of course, pipe.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
Well, I know we can't run flat vents but we can use wet vents if sized properly. It looks like you have both. It does not look like the toilet is vented to me. The vent should come off between the closet bend and the drain wye going into that line.

AKAJIMSTER

Reaction score
dce - What is a flat vent? I was planning to add another wye with a cleanout between the closet bend and other wye. Would the wet vent I have at the lav be sufficient for the toilet or do I definitely need a separate vent for the toilet where you suggested? If I do need one, where would the best place be for the cleanout if this spot is taken? Could I put another wye off of the one I add for this vent? Thanks.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
1) A flat vent is a vent which runs horizontally (less than 45 degrees) while it is lower than 6" above the flood rim of the fixture it is serving. In other words; a vent must have a vertical slope (greater than 45 degrees) until it reaches 6" above the fixture it is serving. Then it can run horizontally.
2) Clean out: Replace the 3x2 wye with a 3" wye; then use a 3x2 wye for the kitchen sink and a 3x2 wye for the shower/lavy drain; put the clean out at the end of the second 3x2 wye.
Hope that helps.

AKAJIMSTER

Reaction score
1) A flat vent is a vent which runs horizontally (less than 45 degrees) while it is lower than 6" above the flood rim of the fixture it is serving. In other words; a vent must have a vertical slope (greater than 45 degrees) until it reaches 6" above the fixture it is serving. Then it can run horizontally.

No flat vents here. The vent from the kitchen sink will run vertically up into the attic, then horizontally over to the vent from the lav, then out the roof. (All the items boxed in red are vertical).

2) Clean out: Replace the 3x2 wye with a 3" wye; then use a 3x2 wye for the kitchen sink and a 3x2 wye for the shower/lavy drain; put the clean out at the end of the second 3x2 wye.
Hope that helps.

That's what I was thinking after reading your other post. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks