Existing Toilet not vented. What to do? Studor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Doon

Technology
Reaction score
Existing Sink, Tub and Toilet not vented. What to do?

Hi there,

as we were planning our basement remodel, the plumber we called in to bid on the job mentioned that none of our existing plumbing was vented. See pictures below.

This would pose a problem for us when we would want to get the remodel inspected.

For most of the sink drains I was planning on using Studor vents (Air Admittance Valves), but what can I do about the main floor bath tub and toilet? :(

Can I studor the bath tub?

Can I studor the toilet?

I don't think I can go through the walls and out the roof, so what else can I do?

Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Doon

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

Doon

Technology
Reaction score
Venting blues

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well, this makes sense. I just don't know what to do about this situation. There was a lot of weekend warrior style work done on the house by the previous owners, we have learned.

The bath is 8' x 8' and the stack is in one corner.

bathroom_venting_issue.jpg

I can tell by looking up at the floor boards (from the basement), that the toilet had been moved at some point. It used to be on the same wall right near the stack. Someone, however, moved it to be in the corner diagonally across from where it used to be (so, more towards the center of the house). So, the drain line drops, goes across for about 7 feet and then drops down before sloping along the wall towards the stack. There is no venting for anything in this bathroom.

What to do?
Doon

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
It depends on what your local code says about the AAVs. Some allow them and some won't allow them on a toilet, you are always better off using a real vent.

Doon

Technology
Reaction score
Venting issues

Here are shots of the actual pipes...

Kitchen and Bathroom sink problem:
sink_vent_problem.jpg

and the bathroom toilet and tub issues:

toilet_tub_vent_problem.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Doon

Technology
Reaction score
Bueller?

Trying to kick the post back to life.

Thinking about re-posting to the general plumbing forum...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Doon,
What did your plumber say he could do?

I see the pictures, and the reason the plumbers aren't responding is that none of this is even close to being right.

If pipes need to get up through the roof, you can put them in a wall, or in a closet.
I would love to hear the the on site plumber had to say.

Or, for a service call, I could come by and look.
I charge for that though.

I'm guessing that your plumber had some good ideas though.

We use the UPC code book here, and the inspectors are very good in the Seattle area.

Doon

Technology
Reaction score
Ugh

Hey there,

thanks for the reply!

The plumber had said that we could run something up the wall for the toilet. That sounded rather daunting. The wall immediately behind the toilet is where an HVAC vent runs up to the second floor.

I am an absolute laymen went it comes to plumbing, but I was hoping that we could add add a vent (at the point where the pipe drops) which goes out the wall and up along the house exterior. Isn't that the point where the vacuum is created? As waste material goes down?

For everything else, he suggested studor vents.

Thoughts?
Doon

P.S. How much is a service call? You can send me a private reply.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Even if AAV vents would work, you must have at least one conventional vent to the outside. With as many problems as you have, my advise is to hire a professional to get it right.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gary,
The plumber that looked at it thought that he could use some Studors.
And that there was a location where he could bring a vent through for the toilet.
It's getting there.
It's in Seattle, so maybe it's time to take a road trip.
Well, pretty tiny road trip, we're bouncing through Seattle all the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks