control box issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Good for you; go git'im.

Except that less torque part isn't true about a 2 wire pump, and IMO they are better than a 3 wire if for no other reason than they don't have $10 parts in a box to go bad or extra wire from the box to the well and own a well.

That's a Dole flow control, you can't buy better.

tab

Reaction score
Good for you; go git'im.

Except that less torque part isn't true about a 2 wire pump, and IMO they are better than a 3 wire if for no other reason than they don't have $10 parts in a box to go bad or extra wire from the box to the well and own a well.

That's a Dole flow control, you can't buy better.

yeah, he charged me $75.00 for it.... that extra wire wasn't a problem at all and i like the pump box because i can change out a switch and or capacitor cheaply and easily. i've been doing just that since 87 on this well. if the capacitor in the pump goes bad, i gotta a $2,000+ bill and a big headache. i got 32 years out of that 3 wire pump and would have gotten more had tractor supply not given me the wrong control box.

less starting torque is NOT true? this other well guy was adamant about it and warned that debris or sand could keep it from starting. then its another huge bill/headache.

tab

Reaction score
WOW! If I was that guy and started to get stuck, I would have quit with the truck idea and got a pump puller if the well wasn't too deep or, put down mats of some kind. or left after writing you a check for the yard I tore up so far but there wouldn't be any service charge to you.

i can't remember if i mentioned this but they ended up pulling the pump by hand anyway after getting stuck twice. i asked if they used a portable pump puller and he told me that very few of his jobs are on wells only 120' deep and those other pullers don't work on deep wells. but i got on the net and found out differently. those pullers work on deep wells too. i thought this one was interesting: http://www.raynomak.com/

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
My concern is that this person is not state licensed. Yep, I agree he should have replaced the pump with a like pump or gave you the choice. If he cannot provide you with a license and I doubt that he has insurance either. He should provide you with a licensed pump installer to install you a satisfactory pump system and he pay for a licensed Landscaper to repair your yard to as like it was as possible. Otherwise I would take him to court! Be sure to get the make; model and serial number of the newly installed pump.

Being a Nationally Certified "Master Ground Water Certified" Contractor I have a real problem with unlicensed, unqualified and uninsured contractor attempting to do work for the public.

Porky, MGWC
www.dci-inc.us

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
where I come from you can not do anything in the field without a license. Now, that does not stop folks from doing it anyway but, these days liability is a huge issue and if you have to stand up in court, not having a license puts a big bulls eye on your back.

tab

Reaction score
Tab--why did you not tell him to stop, your tearing up my yard?

it was too late. the guys 450 dually ford was in up to its axles, they had to get it out. all i could do is videotape the insanity.

Porky: i strongly suspect but do not KNOW if this guy is unlicensed. all i know is that AFTER i asked him for his license # he tried to get by with the number on the bill, which, after my next inquiry, it was determined that this was the license of the owner of the company, not his. he then told me that he doesn't remember his number and it's "a lot longer than the one on the ticket." so bottom line, he didn't provide me with his license number AND got REAL cooperative AFTER i inquired about it and caught him in a lie. if i were a betin man -and i am- i'd bet that this yahoo ain't got no license.

now, here's my situation...... he's coming out tomorrow to remove that 2gpm choke and install -at no charge to me- a pump protector which he should have done in the first place instead of try to BS me. my yard is still a disaster but he cut $500 off the bill. should i still demand that he install a 3wire pump or just demand that he fix the yard, install the pump protector and remove that choke? IF the guy has no license, i could probably sue for at least triple damages, get attorney fees and he and his bosses business would be crippled costing them tens of thousands of dollars and when word gets out they will be open for even more lawsuits. that's IF he has no license but i truly doubt that he'd be so cooperative if he had a license. my instincts (and my knowledge of human nature, all tell me that this guy got scared after i asked for his license.

so, how should i proceed?

thanks,
tab

tab

Reaction score
truck

Porky: i like that truck. here's mine.....

Attachments

• truck-10-05.jpg
    truck-10-05.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 412

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
it was too late. the guys 450 dually ford was in up to its axles, they had to get it out. all i could do is videotape the insanity.

Porky: i strongly suspect but do not KNOW if this guy is unlicensed. all i know is that AFTER i asked him for his license # he tried to get by with the number on the bill, which, after my next inquiry, it was determined that this was the license of the owner of the company, not his. he then told me that he doesn't remember his number and it's "a lot longer than the one on the ticket." so bottom line, he didn't provide me with his license number AND got REAL cooperative AFTER i inquired about it and caught him in a lie. if i were a betin man -and i am- i'd bet that this yahoo ain't got no license.

now, here's my situation...... he's coming out tomorrow to remove that 2gpm choke and install -at no charge to me- a pump protector which he should have done in the first place instead of try to BS me. my yard is still a disaster but he cut $500 off the bill. should i still demand that he install a 3wire pump or just demand that he fix the yard, install the pump protector and remove that choke? IF the guy has no license, i could probably sue for at least triple damages, get attorney fees and he and his bosses business would be crippled costing them tens of thousands of dollars and when word gets out they will be open for even more lawsuits. that's IF he has no license but i truly doubt that he'd be so cooperative if he had a license. my instincts (and my knowledge of human nature, all tell me that this guy got scared after i asked for his license.

so, how should i proceed?

thanks,
tab
IMO he is a conscientious dumb ass with no common sense, and having a license won't improve that condition. Us non well driller unlicensed folks see what he did wrong... He may be wanting to protect his job more than avoiding a license thing, and I wouldn't expect him to be able to remember his license number, how many folks ask for one? I had the same drivers license for like 47 years and couldn't tell you what it was without looking it up; at one time 30 yrs ago I could because I was writing it sometimes 2-3 times a day.

Also, I don't see that he did anything that would or could jeopardize a driller's license. I'm sure that if needed, he has been told not to tear up yards etc. etc..

And there's a possibility that his boss has the license, the license is usually for the drill rig truck, not necessarily the person, and he may not be required to have his own license.

The drillers here should know that but it depends on the State you are in. The same for plumbers, some (very few) States require a master plumber "on staff" or the shop is not allowed to install water treatment equipment but he doesn't have to go out to do the job or inspect it later. In many cases licensing is nothing more than the government making money and looking like it is insuring a certain minimum quality of work. Yet they never show up on site to inspect a driller as the well is being drilled or afterward unless they drive by to see if they cleaned up the site to prevent environmental 'damage'.

BTW, IIRC a Dole flow control costs me about $20. I would go the 2 wire pump. And the "pump protector" is just another 'feel good' thing to go bad while a $20 low pressure safety cut off pressure switch would do the same thing and I've never seen one of them break.

Who knows what they'd do to fix the yard if not make more of a mess trying to make it right. I'd probably get the money and do it myself by renting a Bobcat etc..

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, we should get rid of all licensing. Auto, doctors, lawyers, dentists, pilots, plumbers, engineers, electricians. Licensing is just a way for the man to keep us under his thumb. ;)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I need knee surgery. Was thinking of letting the neighbor do it. He's pretty handy with a knife. :eek:

Certain professions that deal with public safety should be licensed. That inspections are not always done is another matter altogether and certainly not a reason to throw the baby out with the bath water.

tab

Reaction score
And there's a possibility that his boss has the license, the license is usually for the drill rig truck, not necessarily the person, and he may not be required to have his own license.

i was told that he MUST have a license and not just a trainee license either because then he wouldn't be able to write contracts. they should have to present the license upon request. we will see. he didn't come out today to fix this thing.

oh, and where do i get that $20.00 low pressure cutoff switch? i'll install it myself.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
i was told that he MUST have a license and not just a trainee license either because then he wouldn't be able to write contracts. they should have to present the license upon request. we will see. he didn't come out today to fix this thing.

oh, and where do i get that $20.00 low pressure cutoff switch? i'll install it myself.
I hope that was from someone that actually knows and not just stating an opinion like the one about 2 wire pumps. Anyone can write a contract, but until an attorney goes over it, no one else can say if it's legal so I do not agree that a drillers' license entitles a driller to a contract.

Most any hardware or big box store or plumbing or pump supply house will have the low pressure cut off switch. They have a lever handle on the side for Off, Start and Auto. You turn it to Start until the pressure hits like 25 psi and turn it to Auto and let go.

tab

Reaction score
i had the idiots come back out and remove that 2gpm choke and install a franklin pump protector and i'm really glad that i did. they installed the pump protector and removed the choke and told me to turn on the breaker to the pump. the pumptec immediately shut off the power to the pump..... they did a LOT of head scratching, then realized that the check-valve in the well shed was blocked. how on earth i was getting water into the house while this thing was blocked is a mystery. the idiots should have changed that valve when they installed the new pump. so the pumptech worked and alerted the dummies that they screwed up. i do not know if that restriction hurt the pump though. only time will tell. :mad: they replaced the check-valve and all is well. no pun intended.... well, except for my yard.... :(

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Never saw a low pressure cut off on a pressure switch at a big box store. Try Graingers or a dedicated pump parts site.

If you got a new pump, checkvalve, wire, pumptek and working system for 1500 bucks you should take the guy to dinner with or without a license. Those ruts could have been worse from the neighbors kid on a 4 wheeler. got a rake and 3 arms? Fix it and forget any more distress in the world from the lawyers. This guy tried to make it right and did so. Choking back the flow to 2 gpm on the first try was not much different from the cycle stop valves action - so it should not have caused a problem at all. Granted the pumptek gives more when you need it.

Probably was NOT a problem with the check valve - did you see the innards after removed? very odd to fail in a "closed" position. Probably the yahoo's did not adjust the pumpteks innards correctly.

There is NO capacitor in a 2 wire motor so relax.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks