Razor blade depository!

Users who are viewing this thread

Artie

Reaction score
I imagine that the "seniors" here will know what I'm referring to. Our two bathrooms are back-to-back. We tear down the drywall on one side to remodel. There, within the wall, is a fairly deep pile of used razor blades. Thats odd, I think. How would those get there? Then I realize, that they're right below the medicine cabinet from the other side bathroom, (which has a small slot in its back).

Apparently, it was "normal" to deposit used blades into a slot in the back of the medicine cabinet, without concern for the pile that would accumulate in the wall over the years. :eek:

No harm done. Its just funny.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I found exactly the same thing when I replaced our 1950s medicine cabinet!

I thought it was a one-off and a lazy homeowner. But evidently not.

There were piles of them. I had to use a dustpan and brush.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To this day, I think metal med. cabinets still have that slot in them, for exactly that reason. But since cartridges have almost completely replaced flat blades, they don't see much use anymore.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Artie,

You should know by the sharpness of those blades that the reason they were disposed of in the wall, was of safety, not the concern of who would find them years later and start a thread on a plumbing forum.

Do you remember when garbage, all of it went in paper bags, sometimes just the garbage can itself?

The reason was the disposal of those blades were dangerous, and could cut anyone in the disposal of them.

I was taught years ago to never dispose of a utility blade in garbage as it can rip a hole in it, fall out and end up on the ground.

A lot of genious ideas back in the day that gave indication that they cared.

That same razor sharp edge is now found on your garage door, the L angle used to support it with not a care in the world who gets injured.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if this was related to the Cold War.

A stash of razors in the event of a nuclear attack could have all sorts of uses.

From cooking, to killing to suicide.

Shaving even.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks