(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exterior 30a power inlet

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    It is allowed by the exception to nec 300.18 for the short run he has. Especially for pvc that wont damage wire when you carefully slide it over.
    Yeah, um... I saw that thread you started at Holt's.

I think you've completely misunderstood the exception. A reference to 300.15 (C), 334.15 (B), and so on, would make it less confusing, I suppose... or you can just read what's written, without trying to "read in" what isn't there in the first place:

Exception: Short sections of raceways used to contain conductors or cable assemblies for protection from physical damage shall not be required to be installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points.
    It's not saying anything about the sequence. Nothing about assembly before, or after, wire-pulling.

All it's saying, is that when you're using a short run of conduit for physical protection, it doesn't have to be a complete assembly. That if the only reason you're running conduit is for physical protection, you only have to run conduit where it needs protection, not all the way back to both boxes.

The exception is there, because otherwise 300.18 would contradict 300.15 (C), 334.15 (B), and so on.

(taken from: http://www.co.henrico.va.us/dyn/med_...00/318/NEC.pdf.)

As for your weird little notion aboout "especially with PVC" (here and at Holt's)... ever wonder what PVC cement might do to the wire insulation?

PS - I've cross-posted this response to Mike Holt's, but it'll have to wait for mod approval to show up. How come you're "DIY junior" over here, btw, if IRL you're an electrical contractor?
    Last edited by frenchie; 12-14-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Default 300.18

When I said it is not the professional way to slide conduit over conductors I should have said it is also against nec 300.18 . . I remember when that wasnt in the code. Lots of things happened. I had a man get pulled off a ladder breaking his leg . the conductors got whipped around on the floor and caught in a Lathe running in a machine shop. wound around a shaft pulling him and a section of 2" ridgid conduit off the ladder and pulled about 40 ft of wire out before could turn it off. I would never have done it that way on a new install . We were trying to replace a broken conduit with out pulling the whole 100 ft of conductors out. Some idiot used the conduit to support a chain hoist and broke off the threads.. . If you want to be naughty and slide the conduit over thats up to you. Be sure to turn off all machinery
    Last edited by jetlag; 12-15-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Holy crap. I always though it was just about accidentally pinching the wire.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Quote Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
    Holy crap. I always though it was just about accidentally pinching the wire.
    guess you can have a little pinch or major one. Another time I was trying to slide a piece of 3/4 emt over some wires It was going okay untill i got zapped hard when a bare end touched the conduit. Found out was more than one set of condutors from a different breaker.