Difficult to remove Tub Basket

Users who are viewing this thread

SKG

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to remove my tub basket using a tub basket wrench. I have applied a significant amount of pressure to the wrench and the tub basket has not budged.

I am wondering....

How much force is it safe to use on the wrench? Can I hammer it? Should I use some liquid wrench or something on the basket?

Of course, I do not want to damage the shoe underneath as I don't really want to rip out the whole tub to deal with some minor slow-flow issues.

For what it's worth, I doubt this tub basket has ever been removed before and this is 1978 construction. Also, the drain line drops a couple of inches and then makes a 90 degree turn to the horizontal and heads out of the tub towards the supply line.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

~Sid

If the drain looks like the one below, you may need to pull the "shoe" out with a wire coat hanger.

I snake from the upper overflow, but the linkage and the stopper need to be pulled out first.

pp19010.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SKG

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Here are the pictures you requested.

Thanks for you assistance.

SKG

Attachments

• IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 13,580
  • IMG_3149.jpg
    IMG_3149.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,200

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Nice pics. Since the cross bars in the bottom of the flange have not broken out, you are not using too much torque!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
basket

At that age, the pipe is probably brass. Therefore, do NOT use excessive force or you WILL snap the thread off and have to change the drain somehow, although it probably would not require removing the tub. IF it does not come out with moderate force, you will have to cut it out, and since that process could damage the tub, you might want to call a plumber who has done it many times without creating problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks