Shallow well - centrifugal pump low pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

dman

Reaction score
Shallow well - centrifugal vs. jet pressure ??

After my deep well failed, I tried to re-activate my old shallow well and above ground 1 HP jet pump. It hadn't run for about three years. The well is a 15 foot shallow well about 3 foot in diameter with water level at 12 feet below the pump. It's the end of summer here in California and it hasn't rained for nearly 6 months. After the rains come (and probably not stop for six months) the water level should be much higher.

First the old pump had frozen but I was able to get it running again but it did not pump any water. I pulled out the pump and the two attached 14 foot pipes. The foot valve and jet assembly was completely clogged and corroded beyond recognition. It broke into pieces when I tried to clean it.

And so I removed what was left of the jet assembly and installed a new foot valve on the intake pipe and capped off the other. I now have only a centrigual suction pump pulling up water about 12 feet. I am only able to get to 28 PSI in the pressure tank as the old pump doesn't seem able to deliver any more than this. I have adjusted the SquareD switch for 28 OFF and 15 ON and the pressure tank has 13 PSI.

My question is this - Would say a Craftsman 1 HP jet-pump be able to deliver more pressure and more volume? I can live with 28 PSI but... Unlike my 400 foot deep well, my shallow well is something I can work on myself and do repairs inexpensively.

Also the water in the well has an extremely bad odor. I poured bleach into the well and am using charcoal filters - the first one clogged within 1 day. Over the last week, the water is becoming somewhat cleaner with less odor. Is there any better way to solve this problem other than with laundry bleach?

Would appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thanks.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I am not fond of plastic pumps, so let your conscious be your guide when selecting brands etc.

If you want pressure get a shallow well jet pump. (with the jet on or in the pump) If you want a bunch of water but not quite as much pressure, go with a self priming centrifugal. Don't use a tank or switch with the self primer though.

I don't know why the well had a deep well jet in the first place. With the shallow well jet or the self primer, just use what you have now, the single pipe (1-1/4") and the footvalve near the bottom.

If you want to put bleach into the well automatically you can install a feed pump to inject while the pump is running. This way it can be adjusted to be proportional to the usage.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks