(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Rough-in distance from wall for setting toilet

Default Rough-in distance from wall for setting toilet

I bought a Toto that has a 12" rough-in. Does this mean 12" from the finished wall to the center of the toilet flange? How much clearance should this give me from the back edge of the tank/lid to the finished wall?

Michael

Yes, the rough-in spec for a toilet refers to the distance from the finished wall surface ( not including baseboards) to the centerline of the waste flange. You can go online to any manufacturer and check the specs on their models. Typically, a toilet installed exactly at 12" would have anywhere between 1/4" and 3/4" clearance. The reason for some clearance is that the manufacturing tolerances on a large porcelain piece like a toilet are significant; and generally accepted industry tolerances on wall bow and plumb also come into play.
    Last edited by jimbo; 08-28-2005 at 06:34 PM. Reason: add

alhurley

if you have the toilet in hand why don't you just measure it?

best be careful about that "finished wall" part - especially with Toto as the base tends to be very long on some models. I put a new Toto Drake in back in April and measured the rough at 12" - give or take a little. The Toto shop said "no problem, these rough-in dimensions aren't that precise. Easy for him to say - I was the one who had to trim out part of the baseboard to get the Drake to fit. I think my rough ended up being about 11-3/4".

-art-