(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Does a dual water heater installation require that the water heaters be the same size

Default Does a dual water heater installation require that the water heaters be the same size

I just moved into a house with a 50 gal natural gas water heater that was put in at the beginning of the year. The only problem is that it is not beefy enough to fill our whirlpool tub or to meet our other needs.

I would like to put in a 75 gal water heater and connect it in series with the existing 50 gal water heater. But I have heard that a dual water heater installation requires that the water heaters be the same size. Is this true?

I figured as long as the larger unit is connected second in the series then it shouldn't matter. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

-Gary

Default heaters

In a series installation, the sizes and order of the heaters is immaterial.

I pretty much agree with hj on the series installation. One thing that ocurred to me, and I can't prove it: I am thinking that I would put the LESSER energy efficient model as the head, with the MORE efficient model feeding into it. In your case, I suspect the 75 is the lesser efficiency.

If my thinking is all wet on this, I hope to hear from others on their thoughts on this.

makes sense to me. To save a few dollars in operating costs. Or more.

david

I installed as Jimbo suggested as the energy efficient argument seemed to make sense to me. Everything has been working fine, plenty of hot water. Thanks for the feedback guys.

-Gary