does anyone know

Users who are viewing this thread

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
if a fernco donut is a approved connection between 3" pvc pipe and the hub of a 4" vitrified clay hub according to the 2009 I.P.C.? A inspector is telling me its not but i dont see it the code does ask for a shielded band but that is if connecting to the outside of the pipe not in the hub .I cant see anywhere where it outlaws donuts.any help or advice?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
if a fernco donut is a approved connection between 3" pvc pipe and the hub of a 4" vitrified clay hub according to the 2009 I.P.C.? A inspector is telling me its not but i dont see it the code does ask for a shielded band but that is if connecting to the outside of the pipe not in the hub .I cant see anywhere where it outlaws donuts.any help or advice?

My advice is who cares what the code book says you're more bound to what the inspector says. They have the final say, not the code book.

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree but heres the situation .I have already cut this pipe 3 times with a grinder and a masonry cutting wheel and each time the pipe just cracks giving me no usable joint,on the third cut it left me with the usable hub so thats what i went with.I am only 3 foot away from being under the sidewalk where there is a city installed two way cleanout with a pretty 8" brass cap on,its in the hood so im surprised the cap isnt in a scrap yard somewhere lol:D but im prettty sure this clay is gonna run right to the c.o. so try and chase the pipe some more and watch it crumble or find the next best solution,I even offered to concrete in the joint after testing,no go,but for the life of me I cant come to interpret anywhere in the I.P.C. that outlaws donuts?

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
is there another approved connection to the hub so i dont have to keep cutting back and praying the pipe wont keep cracking?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

You are doing something wrong if the pipe is cracking when you use a grinder to cut it. That should be the ONE sure way to cut it without it cracking. But there is no donut to join the PVC to the clay bell, and no other way to connect it to the bell, either. IF the bell has the rubber joint, then IF you can find another pipe with the mating rubber part, you could cut that piece and put it into the bell, then connect to it with the proper Fernco coupling.

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
i guess ill just have to cut it again.Is this an approved connector http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings/strong-back-rc-couplings
again thanks for your help Im here to learn so I appreciate it.thanks for the avatar also

sc-strong-back-main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
not sure on the IAPMO what is that?it does comply with astm c 425 which is required by the IPC.I had a regular fernco for this before but the inspector said it had to be shielded,so now im waiting on the third part to be shipped to fergusons for this one joint what a headache but thats the way it goes sometimes oh well.:)

dlh

plumbing consultant
Reaction score
i didnt know they made a clay to pvc shielded coupling, but since it looks as though they do then that is what needs to be used according to the ipc.

i to have only ever used the thick rubber couplings to transition from clay to pvc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks