tub diverter spout replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

apodos

Reaction score
Where can I find a custom fitted tub diverter spout replacement?
I broke the little plastic diverter mechanism in half; ideally, I only need to replace that little plastic piece, but I'm guessing I won't be able to do that(If you know of any way, please enlighten me). In regards to my initial question of where to find a custom fitted spout.....i've tried home depot,lowe's, etc. and they all have only the "universal" spouts. The internet doesn't seem to offer anything much more specific either. The pipe fitting in my tub where the spout fits onto is corroded and won't come off without breaking so a universal spout doesn't fit. The pipe from the wall extends about 3 1/2 inches; the pipe is 1/2 inch diameter but the fitting on the pipe is 1 1/2 inches in diameter so for the first two and a half inches that the pipe emanates from the wall the diameter is 1 1/2; the pipe becomes 1/2 inch in diameter at this point. My old spout, with the broken diverter piece has no visible brand name so I don't know where it came from but obviously it fits the pipe very well. Other than hiring a plumber to cut off the old nipple and break through my bathroom wall, any ideas?

Last edited:

apodos

Reaction score
In addition, to my initial question(I've since done some research), is it possible to get an adjustable diverter tub spout which "adjusts" more than the standard 1 inch? I believe that 3 inches of "adjustment" would solve my problem.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it 1/2" copper pipe coming out of your wall? If,under all the rest of things,it's 1/2" stubbed out...you should be o.k.

How 'bout a picture ??

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Anything that is 1 1/2" on the end of the stub out from the wall, is part of the old spout, and needs to be removed. That will get you back to a normal copper or IPS fitting, and you will find a standard spout to fit it.

apodos

Reaction score
It seems that I have underlying copper pipe(looks like 1/2-3/4 inch).
I've submitted a picture.

Two questions: 1-How do you get the end off the underlying pipe without breaking anything(aside from getting a professional to do it)

2-Why can't I just get a spout that fits on the pipe as is, considering my old spout fit it just fine?

apodos

Reaction score
Sorry, not only can't I fix my tub, I can't figure out how to insert a photo in my message

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks