What are some of the drawbacks of switching over from gas WH to Electric?

Users who are viewing this thread

VTXdude

Reaction score
I'm looking at my last electric bill from PSNH.....I think when I add it all up it comes close to .15 cents a kwh

VTXdude

Reaction score
You were missing what I was saying because I was saying that just because your CO detectors weren't going off doesn't mean you weren't getting spillage as a properly burning appliance won't be producing CO to trip your detectors.

I'm glad you go this problem fixed.

Gottcha...so I could still have spillage but if the burner is burning correctly the spillage won't be containing CO

Well problem not fixed really other than negative air pressure is gone....still have smell..my last ditch effort before going to electric may be to have my venting re run with new pipes.......the plumbers before the HVAC guys put foil tape around all the joints which had this ick smelling adhesive...the HVAC guys said that tape isn't meant for vent pipes but for duct work sealing holes etc.....they peeled it off but the residue form the adhesive is still on the pipes in a lot of spots..they then put the fire proof caulking on the joints...from what i have read none of this is really necessary...the smell I'm getting is similar to the adhesive but I would have thought it would have cooked off by now

Worth having new vent pipes put in to rule that out?

Do any of you use the foil tape on the connections of the pipe?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Gottcha...so I could still have spillage but if the burner is burning correctly the spillage won't be containing CO

Well problem not fixed really other than negative air pressure is gone....still have smell..my last ditch effort before going to electric may be to have my venting re run with new pipes.......the plumbers before the HVAC guys put foil tape around all the joints which had this ick smelling adhesive...the HVAC guys said that tape isn't meant for vent pipes but for duct work sealing holes etc.....they peeled it off but the residue form the adhesive is still on the pipes in a lot of spots..they then put the fire proof caulking on the joints...from what i have read none of this is really necessary...the smell I'm getting is similar to the adhesive but I would have thought it would have cooked off by now

Worth having new vent pipes put in to rule that out?

Do any of you use the foil tape on the connections of the pipe?

The "HVAC guy" doesn't seem to know much about how a vent works and drafting. If a vent is working properly it should be PULLING IN air to the venting system not spilling it out of small holes here or there.

See venting works on buoyancy. The hot flue gases are lighter then the cold dense air in the room around them so they want to rise. So they go up the vent and as they do this they heat the vent up. Because the vent is warmer then the air around it the vent naturally wants to draw in air because of the differences in buoyancy in the air.

So if you're getting spillage in the vent connectors like you are it's not because you have a few holes here and there. It's because you aren't getting the differences in buoyancy you need to create proper drafting of flue gases through the vent.

Vents like to go straight up off appliances not horizontal for 8' 1st then up. Especially when you are going up, over, up, over and then up again. I'm afraid you have a poorly designed venting system.

Reaction score
Our neighbors use a geothermal heatpump and they also have a gas furnace. They are older people (80+) and keep in really warm in there. I was in their house last Feb. and I was sweating with a T-shirt. lol

Do they keep it at 60 F in the summer? :D I've seen this a few times and scratch my head over why folks will try to grow icecicles indoors in summer, and scorch the wallpaper in winter. I run about 80 in summer, 69 set point in winter (corresponsing to 66-67 F through most of the home...except the central hall above the main ductwork where the thermostat is located.)

What I don't like about heat pumps is the low air temperature they put out. It would be easy to install one as I already have central AC.

That's a concern I've had as well. I would want gas back up. Electrical strip heaters are thermodynamically inefficient for fossil fuels. Electrical generation efficiency here is tied to the old coal plant nearby...less than 35% thermal efficiency for the delivered juice. An 80% efficiency furnace clobbers a strip heater in that regard.

The other factor for me is that where I grew up we had blizzards every 5 years or so that would knock out electric from a few days to a week. We had a nice 1930's (?) era Autocrat wood cookrange/oven and a large fireplace, plus a single large propane heater, so it really didn't hurt us other than being stuck with kerosene lamps and candles and needing to move some refrigerator items to a cooler on the back porch. I've since experienced this sort of long electrical outage even in ice storms in the city down in Texas. With a generator it should be possible to run the furnace at least periodically in a northern climate. I plan to install a panel in the next year or two so that I can run the furnace and a few other circuits this way as needed.

To give you an idea, the peak that the two of us have used is about 4400 kwh in one month. LOL That is not heating upstairs for the most part, turning off heat at night and when away, and keeping the main floor at like 67F. We have since added a layer of R30 to the attic and the peak since that time has been more like 3300 kwh. House is a bit over 3000sq.ft, 40 years old, single pane glass.

Ouch, that's over half my annual electrical use. If you normally use 1,000 kwh in a non-heating/non-cooling month then that would be perhaps 7 HSPF or 3400 kwh * 7 = 23.8 million Btu. With an 80% gas furnace this would be 23,800,000/0.8/100,000 Btu/ccf ~ 300 ccf natural gas per month! That assumes I've done the calcs correctly...but I've never had a heat pump so I might be way off.

Gas or electric for the water heater? I assume electric since you mention not having any gas payment unless you install a gas furnace.

Lynchburg's average daily temps are about 7 F higher than ours from Dec-Feb. We are heating about 2800 sq. feet...and unfortunately, due to missing insulation between the spaces, a three car garage as well...though not intentionally...and not permanently. Our gas use should peak under 200 ccf/month this year, down from about 230 last year barring a much colder month this year. The 7 F difference is worth about 30 ccf/month, perhaps more, based on my empirical furnace model.

I want to install a sealed combustion high efficiency two stage furnace to knock about 15% more off. And I need to insulate the ceiling of the large garage cutting another 7-15%. I've already remedied several uninsulated spaces, greatly improving the comfort of several rooms, plus saving energy. Sealed combustion will allow me to complete my sealing of various air infiltration penetrations into the utility space and reduce other infiltration routes as well.

Only thing that I don't like about gas is paying for having the service during all the months where I am not using any gas. Not a big deal, but something to consider.

Yes, this is a considerable cost adder when going from no gas, to some gas. I had this same problem down in southern Georgia. We had about 0.08/kwh electric, an electric water heater, and high efficiency outdoor gas furnace. Why it still had an electric water heater I do now know, I was just renting temporarily. The electric water heater plus monthly gas hook up charge was the worst of both worlds during cooling season.

If I was to set up a home today from scratch I would go with gas water heating (storage...perhaps condensing), gas furnace (condensing, sealed combustion), and a gas clothes dryer. I would probably also set up an 8 month/year passive solar water heater loop. I suppose if money was no object I would use a ground source heat pump, passive solar water heat, and PV solar instead of the above. It's debatable whether it would make sense to then use gas for water heating and the dryer. My wife would like a gas range too...and I would like one for some wok recipes and Indian food--wouldn't have to use the big burner and lilttle propane cylinder outside anymore.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
We have big swings in our bill. In case you missed it, we have an electric furnace (not heat pump), so it is nothing but heat strips. The furnace has its own 150A breaker/disconnect. When we bought the home, the inspector saw that breaker and asked if the house had another sub-panel. We said: "We don't think so". Then he looked more and said: "oh, that is just to feed your furnace." I terms of $$, we are at $50-$70 in non heating/cooling months, ~$100 in summer, and can easily hit $300 in winter. Usually run about 78F in summer (control humidity) and about 67F in winter (a bit chilly, but can't afford to really go warmer).

The winter bills are painful, but at least the system is simple and produces nice, warm air. If I went gas, I would go for the 95% type.

Our older neighbors used to live in Ohio. A house that they had there originally had an electric furnace. They dumped that and switched to gas in a hurry when the found the previous owner was using 10,000 kwh/month in the winter!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks