Another venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

TDVT

Reaction score
Hi, We are preparing for an upstairs bath renovation in a 1 ½ story timber-frame house. Each floor will have 1 full bath with the kitchen also on the first floor & the washer in the basement. The house was owner-built in the 80’s & there are a few un-vented fixtures & I would like to correct any faults during the renovation process.

My question is regarding venting. It is not clear to me if is it required to maintain a constant stack all the way from the sewer to the roof (3†in this case) or can I treat the two floors separately (10 fixture units 1st floor, 6 fixture units 2nd floor) venting each floor with 2â€, then joining the two into a 3†vent in the attic for the roof penetration ? The timber frame of the house makes pipe runs even more difficult so the smaller diameter would make things quite a bit easier & minimize any boxing in that is likely to come up.

Thanks, TD

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
dwv_b2.jpg

In most codes, you need to have a composite area of 3" going up.
If your kitchen goes up separately, you would count that area, and the area for the washer if it goes up on it's own.
In the drawing above, I have two bathrooms vented with 2"

TDVT

Reaction score
Hi Terry, Thanks for your reply. If I am able to vent this way, I would have the kitchen sink, washer & one full bath on one 2" vent straight to the attic & then one full bath also straight to the attic (separate run) & they would then join at the existing 3" roof vent.

I saw that very drawing in another thread which is what got me wondering. Thanks for a great site.

Best, TD

TDVT

Reaction score
Thanks, There is enough room in the chase to run another 1 1/2" or 2" vent all the way from the washer (bsmt) to the attic. Sounds like that will work!

Thanks again, TD

DVMSteve

Reaction score
I did my log home similarly, and it works extremely well, and the inspector was fine with it. I had the same problems with pipe runs: none in exterior walls, or interior log walls.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

As long as you already have a 3" vent out the roof, you could join all the basement plumbing into one 2" vent which would extend up to the attic, and then either connect to the 3" vent, or penetrate the roof separately.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks