Rough-in Comments Please

Users who are viewing this thread

Fein

Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate any comments the shower rough-in below.

The setup: a rain shower always running and a handheld on a separate valve.

Pictured is a pressure balanced mixer with 1/2" inlets and 3/4" supplies.
A 3/4" shower riser leads to a ceiling mounted rain shower head.
The tee is 1/2" to a valve for a handheld.

A few questions:

1. I haven't tested the pipes from the mixer to the heads for leaks because I was afraid of damaging the mixer cartridge if I opened the shutoffs with the shower heads capped. Is this a valid concern? I figured I would run some hoses from the drop elbows to the drain to test.

2. I soldered the nipple to the drop elbow for the handheld supply because it only sits 1/2" proud of the finish wall tile. Is this a typical way to do it?

3. The outlet is very close (not touching anything). Is this a problem?

Thanks very much (and particular thanks to those who overlook the sloppy soldering- still getting the hang of it...)

Attachments

• IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 6,042

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
3/4 inch supplies. Jesus.

Are you going to be washing a car with that thing?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Looks good. I test with air because it's easier to fix a leak if I have one.

Fein

Reaction score
Good idea to test with air- thanks.

Ian- I don't know, I guess I'm a dirty guy.
I wanted to be sure there was enough water for both shower heads.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The electrical box feeding the receptacle on the wall behind can be there. But make sure the cables are secured to the studs within 12 inches of leaving the box. And nail protectors on the studs too. I'd use one for the shower riser and another two for where the electrical cables pass through the studs too.

Last edited:

Fein

Reaction score
more good tips- thanks.
so soldering the nipple to the drop elbow is the usual way to go?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nipple

I question the logic of having the rainfall head running all the time, even when using the handheld. To me it would be like watering your lawn with a hose during a thunderstorm, (although I did know one lady who did so. She believed the rain water was harmful to the grass so she "washed" it off.) I hope you did not "screw" yourself by soldering the nipple into the elbow. IF the final dimension is NOT what you calculated, you will have a devil of a time getting it out to install the right sized one. THAT is one thing I would NEVER have done, and cannot imagine any plumber even considering it, therefore it is NOT a usual thing to do.

WallyGater

Reaction score
Rough-in

Rain head always running, not a good idea. A Rain head is more for a feel good type of shower. If you really want a strong classic style shower you will need a real shower head. The hand held is also just a novelty item, not good for a "real" shower. This is just my opinion, buy two more flow valves, one for the rain head, handheld, and shower head. Now you can control each component of the shower independently.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
From the standpoint of total water flow.....Algore needs to talk to you@!

And from the stanpoint of how much HOT water that will use, you might need to rethink the size of your water heater, and also the size of your gas bill!

Fein

Reaction score
responses

HJ- Originally I planning on putting a valve on the rain shower as well- but I was concerned that this might damage the mixer cartirdge when someone turns just the valves off instead of the mixer to shut off the shower. Is there any validity to this concern?

I did screw myself by soldering on the nipple. No big deal - I'll cut it out. I was actually thinking of advice you gave regarding soldering threaded mixer connections.

Gater- The valve and trim kit set me back $100. I can live without two more. I've used a rainshower before- I am pretty comfortable with it. That said, I agree that it is a little fru-fru.

Jimbo- As far as using too much water- it'll be 5 gpm if I leave the restrictors on and run both. And the two heads allow the boss and me to shower together in comfort- which saves water too. Al probably uses more to brush his teeth! ;)

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The only concern that you may have.

If you add another valve to your rainhead, there is the potential to leave the mixing valve on and using the individual valves. In doing so, if your mixer does not have internal check valves, the hot water will tranfer into your cold side and vise-versa.

Fein

Reaction score
Thanks Krow. I don't see internal check valves in the mixer specs- I take it they are not a standard item.

That said I guess I'll stick with this setup. Plus I don't see how this is much different than having 4 body sprays and all that other junk people have nowadays...

A side question- when I had my rough plumbing inspection for a different bathroom with a tub, I had the tub in place with the drain hooked up. Is it SOP to have the shower walls and drain in place for rough plumbing inspections?

Thanks again for all the help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumbing

My reference to soldering the adapters to the valve was for connections which would NEVER have to be taken apart, not for shower heads or similar connections. You would be better off using a two port diverter valve which toggles between the two devices, but only shuts off the unneeded one, so you would ALWAYS have to turn off the main valve when the shower was completed. The valve would not be damaged by having both devices shut off, but you could cause perplexing symptoms when your hot and cold in the rest of the house had fluctuating temperatures. I would rethink your decision to leave it as is, because you are going to have to live with your decision for the rest of your life, or at least until you decide to remodel and convert it to proper operation.

WallyGater

Reaction score
set me back $100

I know what you mean. This is what my rough in set me back:
three valve and trim kits 300.
temp. mix valve 500.
3/4 inch valve body 100.
three sprays and trim kits 300.
hand shower and trim 300.
shower head 50.
total 1550.00
matching vanity sink faucet 350.
Grand Total 1900.00 (and that was a wholesale price)Retail was about double
60 Lt. of 3/4 copper pipe, fittings, tools, flux, solder about 250. bucks
Installation FREE
no leaks Priceless
Was the shower worth it, You Bet

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
prices

You do not give makes and models, but the prices seem to be above wholesale, but unless you are a PLUMBING contractor, I would hope the supply houses did not sell them to you at what they would charge me. If they did sell them at my prices, then I would want to know who they are so I could make sure I do not buy from them.

Fein

Reaction score
Proper operation

Hj-
When you say "proper operation", do you mean that it will not function as intended or that this setup is just not typical (or worse- some code violation)? Your comments and insight are much appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Codes do NOT care how you operate your shower. By proper operation, I mean that you are going to be mightily displeased if you are constantly deluged with water, even though you want to only use the handheld. And since you are being flooded with water, there would be little need for the handheld anyway. "Proper operation" would be to have a valve which selected either of the two, to the exclusion of the other.

WallyGater

Reaction score
prices

Brand: BRIZO
Model: Total Escape 3/4 inch high flow top of the line
Retail price: Astronomical
Supply House price: About the same
E--Y: Half Price of retail

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hand held

Have you given any consideration to the possibility that the rainfall head will consume ALL the pressure, especially with a 3/4" feed, and therefore, you will only have a little residual pressure plus the one pound or so caused by the handheld being lower than the rainfall? The worst case scenario would be a handheld that you have to hold over your head or wherever you want the water, because it will be "falling" out of the nozzle, not spraying out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks