Replacing steam boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

milk001

Reaction score
I have to change out this boiler and I have a few questions.

1) why is there a u bend in the 2" pipe? Is the supply and return in the same piping?

2) do i need to add a circulator pump, Extrol tank, air scoop to the new system?

I have installed boilers but steam is all new to me.

any help would be great! thanks

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I am about to give you some advice that you probably will not want to hear but believe me, if you don't know what those U bend pipes are and are asking if you need an expansion tank ect, you really really should not be doing this change out. Steam boilers and piping are a science and getting it right requires a skilled installer that knows steam and steam systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eldan

Reaction score
I agree with Peter, but to answer your questions:

1) the U-bend pipe is comprised of the riser, header (top of the U), and equalizer. The steam that is created has equal pressure on both sides, so the water is not pushed out of the boiler. I can't tell from your picture but where the equalizer enters the boiler below the water line there should be a nipple connecting to the wet return with a Hartford loop. Get this step wrong and you'll never pass inspection, and the boiler will be dangerous. Do the other piping wrong and you'll have wet steam, water hammer, or worse.

2) No.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Peter is right. get a qualified contractor to do the replacement. What it looks like you have is a one pipe steam system. The loop is used to prevent surging in the boiler. It also should be piped with iron pipe.

John

milk001

Reaction score
based on the current configurations, does this setup seem correct?

Also looking at the new boiler configurations, it doesnt seem exactly the same.

should i just go by the new boiler configurations?

i shouldnt have a problem going black pipe to copper tie in?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Just curious why it's being replaced? From the pics it doesn't seem too old in boiler years. I've seen units that are the size of a small car..now those are old!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You don't take advice well do you? So at this point the best thing is to have at it and end up spending money twice when you have to get a professional to come in and straighten things out. You don't even know how to properly size the new boiler do you? You just have no clue what headaches you are getting yourself into. I'm not being a prick here. I'm trying to explain to you that a proper steam boiler install is not anything a diy'er shoud even begin to contemplate. It would take several pages of explanation of the proper installation methods and sizing.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Listen to the pros....good to be informed bad to be dead or poor.
Two possibilities if you try and tackle this yourself.

Eldan

Reaction score
If you follow the manufacturer's diagram for near boiler piping to the letter, and you do it in iron instead of copper, you might come out alright. But there are other aspects of a steam system besides installing the boiler. Do you have the right size boiler? You need to measure the total EDR. Are the mains vented and insulated? It looks like there's no skim port on that boiler; do you know to add one to the new boiler? There are lots of pitfalls.

milk001

Reaction score
OK...I might not be a "master plumber" but I am fully capable of installing a steam boiler, I do have a plumber who is working with me, its size correctly, etc, and yes I do know how to skim. My only questions were and maybe I didn't make myself clear, 1) why did they use copper not black pipe. 2) why have I seen guys install Extrol tanks on other setups.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You do not use a Extrol tank on steam, they are used on hot water systems. Asking a question like that gives the impression that you have no knowledge of working with steam. Good luck on your installation, I hope the plumber your working with has a background in steam.

John

Eldan

Reaction score
They probably used copper because it's easier and quicker. Iron is better. I don't think you need to be a "master plumber" to install a steam boiler but you do need to know a few things. If you saw a tank or pump in a steam system it may have been a condensate return system. You wouldn't see something like that in a typical residence.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks