(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing kitchen sink drain

Default Removing kitchen sink drain

I need help! (obviously!) I am trying to replace a kitchen sink drain and it won't budge!!! I have managed to detach the pipe from the drain but the problem is the nut, or whatever it is called, that attaches the drain to the sink. When I try to turn the nut the whole drain turns. I have tried WD-40 and soaking it in CLR. I would much appreciate any suggestions even if it means removing the sink it self so I have more room to work on it.

Thanks in advance!
    AngieB

You might try using the handles on a pair of channel lock pliers through the top of the basket to hold the basket from turning when you turn the nut. It would take a helper to hold the pliers, probably with a screwdriver or other bar. This will ruin the basket, but if you're replacing it anyway, no loss. Yes, you can remove the sink now, but you'll still be faced with the same problem. At least now the sink is being held solidly while you work on it.

I've done the channel lock thing before too but the last few times I used two screwdrivers to form an X which I was able to use a board laid corner to corner in the sink or something long to hold it while I used a huge pair of pliers under the sink (could find that new fancy wrench I bought).

Smile Removing sink drain

Thank you for your reply. A friend of mine helped me with that as well and it still turned but it was hard to get a good grip - didn't have a bar or good heavy duty screwdriver. I'll try that next. If you have any other suggestions in the meantime send them on!

Thanks again!

Happy New Year!
    AngieB

hmmmm... hammer & chisel or dremel hobby tool with cutting disc. Not much else left.

Smile

Good idea on the x. At least I can try that if I don't have the extra pair of hands. The next step will be something that has a blade on it!!!
    Thank you,
    AngieB

I work alone and NEVER have help... always have to figure out how to do it ALL by myself. I have sometimes amazed myself what one person can do alone. I know a one armed carpenter who is about as good as I've ever seen.

There are wrenches that are designed to install and remove basket strainers:

The basket strainer wrench holds the top part in place while the basket strainer locknut wrench unscrews the locknut. There are two types of locknut wrenches. You can buy these tools for under $15.00 at most decent hardware stores.

If that doesn't work, you need to cut off the locknut with a Dremel, using a metal cutoff wheel (wearing eye protection.)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Verdeboy; 12-31-2006 at 10:01 PM.

A hack saw works real good.

Thanks everyone! This is the first time I have ever tried posting a problem and it is wonderful to have all of the suggestions. All of you have had some super ideas and today is the day. I will post how it all comes out!

Thanks again!
    AngieB

U R Welcome angie. I started out in this business just doing handy man repairs for my mom's rental house and didn't have all the fancy wrenches. I still resort to my "figuring it out" methods out of habit rather than spending a little money for tools that I don't use very often.... and probably couldn't find when I needed them.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I use a hacksaw too. I always have one handy, and it takes about minute to cut the threaded ring off. Just angle the saw so that it cuts into the basket threads, when you have cut off a section, the rest will just snap off. The metal tends to be very soft stuff anyway.

doubled entry...

I Like to drill them out. It's less work .

Cass... I assume you drill thru the side of the basket nut to cut it into. Is that correct?