tjernlund ss1 suddenly very loud

Users who are viewing this thread

jasonk

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a very, very inexperienced homeowner who's trying to solve a furnace fan problem.

Suddenly, my furnace fan has become very loud.

It's a Tjernlund SS1. It works fine but went from being mildly audible to sounding like a mac truck is parked and idling in my garage (my furnace is in my garage, no basement). It also seems to come on more frequently, although this might just me noticing it more because it's so loud.

So, I found this site:

http://www.patriot-supply.com/search_new.cfm?q=SS1&search=Go

Which seems to have all the parts I'd need to try and resolve this. My Question is, what parts do you guys think I would need?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All you might need are a couple of drops of oil in the right place.

3fifty6

Reaction score
All you might need are a couple of drops of oil in the right place.

It would be nice to know where those couple drops of oil should be directed. My unit is in a difficult place to access.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's hard to diagnose a noise, unheard, over the internet. With fans, there are a couple of possibilities: the fan motor or the fan blades (often a squirrel cage). Many fan motors use sealed bearings, and when they start to go, you can't do much except replace the fan motor. Sometimes, they have oil cups, where you should add oil periodically. These might feed a plain bearing, or a bronze one. On those, adding some oil at the bearing/shaft junction and/or in the oil cup might let it go awhile longer. A sealed bearing probably won't be helped by a drop or two of oil, since it may not penetrate to where it could do any good (the sealed part), but won't hurt. If the fan has an accumulation of dust or lint on it, it could have become unbalanced. this puts undue stress on the bearings, and could cause it to wobble enough to maybe hit something or rub. A careful cleaning can sometimes help. This can be problematic, as if you bend something or knock the balancing weight off or out of position, it may wobble when it didn't before.

On an older furnace, the fan could be driven by a pulley and belt. The pulley assembly with the bearing could be making noise. The belt may have stretched or started to come apart, and all you may need is a new belt, and to adjust the tension, or a new pulley block. Hard to say without being there.

I'd take the cover off, turn the power off, and try to manually rotate the fan and see if it rotates freely or makes noises while doing so...look at it carefully. It may become obvious. If this doesn't help, you probably need a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks