(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need a Water Softner! Which One?

Hybrid View

Default Need a Water Softner! Which One?

So I am in need of a water softener. I had a 5 year old Kenmore and the resin tank blew up. It didnít do a very good job and left iron deposits in my toilet and tub, and turned my t-shirts orangish. I do have a whole house fileter. I had the water tested and it was a 31 hardness with 2 ppm of iron in it. I want a softener that will eliminate the iron issues, it really is an issue for me, I have a touch of OCD. The water dude recommended a 22,000 grain Aqua Systems Smart Choice (http://ilovemywater.com/Res-Products.aspx?ID=13) for a bunch of money. I can put one in myself but didnít see any place on line to purchase this model. It kinda looks like a Clack WS-1 (say like this http://www.affordablewater.us/Clack-...-P402C145.aspx) to me, is it the same thing? Is there a better model I can order? Another water guy recommended a 32,000 grain model. I have 2 bathrooms and 2 people living in my homeÖ Please give me some directionÖ

The first link, they don't sell online. They are a multiple location local dealer. The control valve is a Clack that is highly modified so you can take it off a tank adapter to take it in for service and swap it or have them fix it. I suggest that they are very pricey.

The second is a competitor of mine. Every few weeks I hear from a customer of theirs and they need programming information. In comparing their softeners to mine, they usually aren't the same thing, smaller tank etc. and they don't include everything I do. So be careful, you get less from them and next to no help in in sizing or programming. Their instructions are very weak also.

To correctly size a water softener Click Here
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 12-07-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks for the tips fellas. I thought the price was little high for the Aqua system, but I am just tired of the iron stains.... Do either of you have any model recommendations for me to fix up my iron issues?

Quote Originally Posted by tnewman10 View Post
    Thanks for the tips fellas. I thought the price was little high for the Aqua system, but I am just tired of the iron stains.... Do either of you have any model recommendations for me to fix up my iron issues?
    What size do you need? That matters and dictates what control valve you can use.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    What size do you need? That matters and dictates what control valve you can use.
    Some where between a 22000 and 32000 grain from what the two water guys I have talked to told me... Probably better get the 32000 grain to be safe... 2 people in home 2 baths...

I take it you didn't visit my sizing and calculator pages.

Here is what I am working with...

19 cups per 10 seconds
    1.875 gallons per 10 seconds

7.125 GPM

31 hardness + (2ppm iron * 4)(8) + 0 maganese =39gpg compensated hardness

2 people * 60gal/person/day = 120 * 39 compensated hardness = 4680 * 8 days =

37440 grains

That is a higher than what the water guys recommended, but I guess I did tell them just one person, I have decided to include my girlfriend in my calculations because she stays over a lot.... LOL