(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Were American cars ever good?

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

How old is old ?
    I pay less then that for my truck....but we get a low mileage discount - under 7k miles a year, and we have house insurance thru the same company too - another discount

DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

I have driven nothing but pickup trucks or a suburban. Presently I own a GMC Duramax diesel 4x4 pickup. Insurance where I live is the highest rates in the country. I have always needed a big vehicle as I am a drag racer and have a race car and trailer to tow to the race track. I have one vehicle and use it everyday. My commute to work is short so fuel usage is not really a big deal. I work 5 miles from home and have never commuted much further than that in 30 years. I love my truck...big, burly and it has a monster under the hood. It is a turbo diesel and has enough torque to pull anything.......Japan has continued to enlarge their vehicles to satisfy the US market but they don't build anything that can do what my truck does. I wouldn't buy one even if they did......I did own a Toyota pickup once and it was a ligthweight mini truck. About the only thing it was good for was good mileage. I did own Ford built Capri once and it got 30mpg and was not a bad little car. I commuted about 20-25 miles one way with that thing at the time. Gas prices were maybe .50 cents a gallon back then and I worked in a gas station so I got some gas free.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
    How old is old ?
    I pay less then that for my truck....but we get a low mileage discount - under 7k miles a year, and we have house insurance thru the same company too - another discount

That '57 Chev is a beauty......283....3 on the tree or a p/g or turboglide....
    Last edited by Rich B; 12-09-2009 at 05:00 AM.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    ...as I am a drag racer and have a race car and trailer to tow to the race track..
    What class do you run in Rich? Car, times, etc. details.
    I've only run at the track a few times as it's an hour plus and I've never had a dedicated track car but my father has and my brother's father in law ran a self sponsored Pro Street Trans Am.

My father's last race toy was a '70 CJ with a 440 mag. Tubbed and chopped. We lived in Army housing then....the MP's really gave him hell over having that "on base".
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

These are Hot cars.....

So is this....

My all time faveorite...67' Ford Shelby Cobra...stock with 500 HP ....OH YEAH!!!!!

And a few had this motor.........

Pushing 629 HP from the factory.......
    Last edited by Cass; 12-09-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Smile

I have been a "serious" drag racer since I was infected with the bug in the 60's as a teenager. Since I am a mechanic and was born with a wrench in my hand..LOL....I lived thru the muscle car era and worked on many cars people only dream about today. I raced at the US Nationals in 1966 with my partner. We had a '57 Chevy sedan delivery. They were very popular back then. We built another car a few years later and set the NHRA national record with that one. I got married, had kids and had to quit racing.....that marriage went south a number of years later and I went back to drag racing and have been doing it ever since. I have had a lot of cars. I race both locally in bracket racing and have raced in big time NHRA races. I have won a national event in S/G anda Lucas Oil Series race in S/C. I have had Stockers, Super Stockers, S/G-bracket cars and 2 dragsters. I presently race a 235" wheelbase RaceTech dragster. It runs 7.70-7.80 at about 170mph in the 1/4mile. I am 62 years old and have almost as much fun today doing it as when I was 18! Thas why we do it. I built racing engines for over 10 years and worked in a small race engine machine shop-engine shop. A good friend had a '68 Chevelle he raced with engines I built and he owned it for many many years. It ran as quick as high 9's and he sold it last year to a man who lives in France. The car was shipped over there and he is tickled with it.... $44K was what it took to buy it. I have another good friend who owns a 1970 Boss 429 Mustang. He has owned it for many years and he says it's his retirement $$$. The way prices have gone lately on those cars he might not be so well off anymore.....I love cars...and so do most of my friends we are GEARHEADS....I will post some pictures if I can find them on my computer...

My last 3 cars. 1998 to the present......
    Last edited by Rich B; 12-09-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Sounds awesome Rich. 170 @ ~ 7.70 is moving!
    Matt

Yes it is Matt....In a dragster it is very stable though. They are very popular cars in fast bracket racing. The solid blue car is my latest. 509 BB Chev burning methanol and carburated. The Firebird was a mid 10 second car at 125. It had a relatively stock LT-1 engine and factory EFI. Rules limited modifications but they still are very fast for what you have to work with. Wheelstands are routine for those cars and on only 9" wide radial slicks......Florida has some good tracks...been there. Moroso in West Palm. It is now called Palm Beach International Raceway. Bradenton, Gainesville......Too hot though in the summer months for me and it rains too often during the afternoons......It's a great sport but way to costly these days. I don't go nearly as much as I used to and a big part of it is the costs to race overall are way up.....and looks like it will one day be governed out of existence by people intent on having us all live in a tree with the animals.....LOL

Nice wheel stand. Yes from what I understand the LT-1 were very responsive, the LSx motors are stout as well. I'm a Ford fan though and I really like the modular motors, they turn really nice numbers for their sizes.

I'm halfway between Bradenton and an 1/8 mile at Immokolee (which is a crap track). My last mustang was supposed to be good for high 12's N/A (with a decent driver) but hopefully the next (maybe an '04 cobra) will be good for mid 11's with tires. That may be a bit ambiteous for a daily driver but we'll see.
    Matt

Matt....Ford and Chrysler have some cars out this past year that are out there racing in Stock and the Mustangs are rediculously underrated on HP and unbelievably fast. They have a 4 valve 5.3 or 5.4litre supercharged engine and I have seen times in the lower 9's at 140.....That is unherad of for a categorie that was dominated by muscle cars of the '60s. A '69 Camaro with a 396 or 427 or a Max Wedge mopar or some Shelby Mustangs were the fastest cars previously and just started knocking in the 9's the last few years. Those new Mustangs are so underrated and fast they will need to add a class or two as thei HP factor gets corrected. Or move them into SuperStock. The only supercharged stockers in the past were limited to some Fords in the '50's and they were 312's. Fast for back then but nothing like todays stuff.

I have heard of Imokalee.....That must be in real alligator country! My sister once lived in Homestead. They moved to northern Florida many years ago . They have lived in various towns around Daytona Beach for many years. I used to stop at the Speedway and also Daytona USA and sat and watched them during testing a few times in January. No matter where they have been those hurricanes down there seem to follow them. Luckily they have never had any severe damage but the storms would drive me away for sure.......My mother also lived there untill she passed away last year....she was 96 years old and lived there since 1985....It snowed 3-4" this morning here......

Thanks Terry for the avatar.....I did like that car and it is owned by a friend so I see it regularly and might get to drive it again this year once or twice.......

Previous member

In defense of American cars. I had a 1985 Ford E150 cargo van that I put over 350,000 miles on and never did squat to it cept for tires and brake pads.

I am currently driving a 97 Ford F150 with 245,000 miles on it and I have only changed the oil 3 yes 3 times since it was brand new. Again, tires, brake pads and last week the alternator finally went

That said, I collect MG's I have 4 running MGB's a half dozen for parts, two MGA's and a Triumph TR3. I work on all of them constantly, they all leak oil, they are all electrical nightmares but for some warped reason I am addicted to the damn things.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Possibly because they can go round a corner Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    They have a 4 valve 5.3 or 5.4litre supercharged engine....
    The '04 Mach1 I had was a 4.6L 4valve. Aluminum block with a functioning shaker hood. It was about 90lbs lighter on the front end vs. the iron block motors. I miss that car terribly...

By the way, as an engine builder, you might like this vid. Ignore the comments below the video, most are ignorant.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9ffyssPV8
    Last edited by FloridaOrange; 12-09-2009 at 05:49 PM.
    Matt