(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Were American cars ever good?

Hybrid View

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Default Were American cars ever good?

Which ones and when?

I wouldn't touch one now for love or money.

But I am guessing if you guys can make a damn good pump (Zoeller), seat (Toto - I wouldn't want to use one as a toilet though) and a valve (Apollo) then it shouldn't have been too much of a stretch to make a good car.

What went wrong?

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Fords are great cars Ian. Even your counterparts across the pond drive them. I'm on my fifth one, though the latest is the oldest. The '04 mustang was awesome, just changed the oil and put gas in. All the latest (99 and on) modular motors are great.

What do you think is a good car? Toyota's and Honda's were better for reliability but not anymore. When they were better they lacked severly in other departments, (interior, suspension).

My sister just got rid of her Audi, it's common that after 60-80k miles they develope problems that become cost prohibitive to keep. Are jags still English made? They are really crappy once the warranty runs out.

Get a new Stang....that will change your mind. It might even put some pep in your step.

What do you drive?
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

We all know what MG stands for ( My God what's wrong with it now!)

English built cars were some of the most unreliable vehicles I ever worked on back in the mid 60's. Most mechanics didn't like to touch them and there were a few specialty shops that sprang up in my area that worked on them. The sports cars that were popular at the time were some of the worst. Underpowered, poor handling, electrical issues constantly. Triumphs, MG's and and Jaguars were also pretty poor for reliability.

American cars were way better. The Japanese and German built cars eventually easily surpassed all others for reliability. Many cars built today are really good from everyone.....Ford seems to be the leader right now in American quality.....I am a GM man......

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I drive a Toyota because I adore the reliability and can live without a quality interior.

I agree that British cars, for the most part, were rubbish.

But there is something about American cars I just do not trust. I could live with a Ford but the rest look a little too light on their loafers for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzpx_jUUA0
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 12-08-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gills View Post
    But there is something about American cars I just do not trust.....
    Are you afraid the car is going to boot you out and not let you back in?
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida