Pump Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Shaunp

Reaction score
I know nothing about well pumps but here goes.If I use a lot of water (like washing the car) my pump stays on but pressure only builds to around 20psi without shutting off or reaching 30psi.I am still getting water just at low pressure.If I turn power off to the pump and let it stay off a couple minuettes and then turn the power to the pump back on then the tank fills and shuts off at 30psi which is where it set to shut off.I can also hear burps of air going into the tank when I turn it back on.
A neighbor and I awhile back replaced the cut of switch (guess that's what its called and I just replaced the pressure gauge.
My pump is a below ground pump.I have read of priming the pump but do not know how.I have read of check valve but not sure what that is either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Also and not sure it means anything but when I take a shower there is air coming from the hot water .This all started during the summer when I was away and water hose running and it ran for about 12 hours.Thanks for any and all help.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
You have a low producing well, and are drawing the water level down in the well to the pump intake level and are drawing in water that the well is producing at where the pump is set. The reason you are seeing air is the pump is gulping in air and water at the pump's suction point.

Shaunp

Reaction score
You have a low producing well, and are drawing the water level down in the well to the pump intake level and are drawing in water that the well is producing at where the pump is set. The reason you are seeing air is the pump is gulping in air and water at the pump's suction point.

I was told the well is down 250 feet and would never run out of water.Why would resetting the pump(turning power on and off to pump) make it work?

Shaunp

Reaction score
I had the well pump guy out today and and he is almost sure it is a hole in the drop pipe.Said they needed to pull the the pipe up.Cost for pulling the pipe 450.00 and whatever pipe needs to be replaced.He recommended using pvc even though it is galvanized currently.So they will be bring the truck on Saturday.Does the price sound about right?Thanks.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
I was told the well is down 250 feet and would never run out of water.Why would resetting the pump(turning power on and off to pump) make it work?

I'm with Teets on this, (kinda).
If it will build up to 30psi after you leave the power off for a while, but will not do it under normal use, I don't think it has a hole.

Your well may be able to produce all the water you need,BUT, Is it getting into the well?
Assuming, you were told correctly that the well has plenty of water.

I am thinking the screen may be some what plugged up, and is only letting a small amount of water through.
That would explain why when you turn the power off for a while, the pressure will build high enough to cut off.

If there was a hole, it would not build up to the cut off pressure no matter what you did.

Travis

Shaunp

Reaction score
I'm with Teets on this, (kinda).
If it will build up to 30psi after you leave the power off for a while, but will not do it under normal use, I don't think it has a hole.

Your well may be able to produce all the water you need,BUT, Is it getting into the well?
Assuming, you were told correctly that the well has plenty of water.

I am thinking the screen may be some what plugged up, and is only letting a small amount of water through.
That would explain why when you turn the power off for a while, the pressure will build high enough to cut off.

If there was a hole, it would not build up to the cut off pressure no matter what you did.

Travis

When the well guy came out today he took the cap(guess thats what it is) off the top of the well to see how well it was pushing water.At first he thought it maybe the pump and he said that if it was the pump we will see a reduction in the water flow in a few minuets which did not happen and flow stayed steady.He checked the check valve to see if it was bad by turning off the pump to see if water flowed back from the water tank.It did not.He said at first that he was stumped as it appeared the pump was good and everything was checking out.At this point he suggested that there could be a partial blockage in line near the tank as I have very hard water.
He put the cap back on the well and I told him if I was to turn on th water at the outside faucets for 5 minuets that the problem would happen.So I did just that.I ran the faucets for awhile and the psi went down to 10psi.At 20psi the pump had turned on as it should.The psi ran up to about 20psi and then just stayed at 20psi with the pump running.After 5 minuets I showed him that it had not moved past 20psi.He had his worker remove the cap off of the well again to see if it was pumping water and it was but at a slower rate than it was the first time we took the cap off.He then told me he thinks it is a hole in the drop pipe.But could not be sure until he pulls the well.
Like I said I am new to all this so I am learning and learning fast.He told me it was a 450.00 charge to bring the truck and pull the well and anything after that is extra.I do not have a lot of money and told him so.He is willing to pull the well and fix what ever it is for 500.00 and anything over that He will work with me.
Where is the screen that you are talking about being clogged?Is it in the well?Thanks for the help and input.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
How long did it pump out on the ground?
Is the drop pipe pvc or steel?

With the information you have provided here,I feel the well is not giving you the water.

If the pump was bad it would not build the pressure.
If there was a hole or crack, it would not build the pressure.
IF any of these were the problem, turning off the power for a while would have no affect it

Because the pump will build up to the cut-off pressure after a little off time, that rules out a hole, bad pump, or a blockage.

That says to me,there is not enough water coming in fast enough to cut off, if you are using water.

This is what I conclude is the problem you have, with the information given.

Travis

Shaunp

Reaction score
How long did it pump out on the ground?
Is the drop pipe pvc or steel?

With the information you have provided here,I feel the well is not giving you the water.

If the pump was bad it would not build the pressure.
If there was a hole or crack, it would not build the pressure.
IF any of these were the problem, turning off the power for a while would have no affect it

Because the pump will build up to the cut-off pressure after a little off time, that rules out a hole, bad pump, or a blockage.

That says to me,there is not enough water coming in fast enough to cut off, if you are using water.

This is what I conclude is the problem you have, with the information given.

Travis

It pumped out on the ground continuously but at a lot slower rate than the first time.The pipe is steel.Also if I just use the water normally as in house use,shower,dishes ect... I do not have a problem.It is only when I use a large amount that it will not build pressure up to the cutoff point .
You offer some valid points and and maybe I just need to watch my water use.Thanks

Shaunp

Reaction score
Due to rain over the weekend the pump puller was put on hold till next weekend.When I got up this morning the pump was running continuosly so I shut it off and restared it but now the presure does not build up so I took the cap off and turned the pump back on and the pump is running but there is no water coming up from the well at all.So now looks like I have gone from bad to worse and no water.Worked flawlesly over the weekend but not now.Bummer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

If the pump is worn, it will only produce a certain amount of flow. If the hose is using the entire flow, the pressure CANNOT build up because there is no "extra water" to do it. IF it has completely failed, there will be no water at all. Depending on where your check valve(s) is would determine whether a hole in the feed pipe could cause the symptoms and how to, or if you could, check for it.

Shaunp

Reaction score
If the pump is worn, it will only produce a certain amount of flow. If the hose is using the entire flow, the pressure CANNOT build up because there is no "extra water" to do it. IF it has completely failed, there will be no water at all. Depending on where your check valve(s) is would determine whether a hole in the feed pipe could cause the symptoms and how to, or if you could, check for it.

The owner of the pump company was here yesterday and am back up and running again with better presure than I have had since I owned the property.
When He pulled the pipe out he found a hole in the pipe about 80 feet down.Also the pump had froozen up and was not working.He checked my water level and the water table starts at 105 feet and the pump was down at 200 feet.He checked to see how far down the well was and said it was over 250 feet to the bottom so I have plenty of water.
I do not have a lot of money and let the owner know this when I first called him.I can not afford a new pump and really could not afford to have this done but it all worked out.The owner had brought some used pvc pipe that he had pulled fro another job which was perfectly good.He had pulled it from another well that the customer wanted thicker piping.He replaced 100 feet of piping that was to be submerged in the well and left the piping that was above water alone as it was in good shape.As for the pump,mine was 19 years old and he had a used one that was 4 years old at the shop and he went and got it and installed it instead of a new one.Since I was concerened about money I asked him what was the price for the pump and pipe and he said he was giving it to me.No charge.The pump is a Franklin pump and so was my old one.He and his son worked 3 hours on the well total.What use to take 5 minuetts to build to cut off presure now takes 15 seconds.
So when it came time to settle up .....well total was 400 dollars.No he did not install new but I now have water and what awesome people the pump guy and his son are.It is good to know that even in these times of a bad economy there are still people who give a lending hand.When he told me 400 dollars I was dumbstruck and asked him why so cheap and he said...We had nothing to do today and was glad he could get me back up and running with water.A good day for me indeed.Thanks for the help guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks