old shower drain in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

bowtech777

Reaction score
Hi !!

I am new to these forums..
I have been doing remodeling and renovation house for a few years now.. unfortunately my main weakness is plumbing.

I am replacing an old shower / bathroom in my basement.
The old bathroom was removed by the previous owner and he LOST the house before he could complete the renovation.

Anywhoo... my question is....

I am replacing the bathroom that he removed.. the drains are 4" I.D. holes in the basement floor are clear and work properly..

I need to install the new shower stall.. the stall lines up perfectly to the drain BUT... what exactly should i do to tie in the new style shower drain to the old 4" I.D. floor/shower drain that was used for the shower previously.

the NEW shower has the standard PVC drain with the big hex nut on it..

The hole in the floor for the drain is 4" in diameter.

What do i need to make sure I am doing this correctly.

I do not want water pouring out from under the stall

There is no 2" pvc pipe extending up out of the floor like new construction.

This house was built in 1947 and the drains were installed at that time when the basement floor was poured.

the drains are in excellent condition and flow perfectly.. I want to tie in my NEW shower drain into the exisiting 4" Inside diameter floor drain.

I do not want to tear up the floor and replace drains that do not need replaced.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !!!

bowtech777

Reaction score
one other thing..

The flor drain does not have any type of pipe sticking out of the floor..
It looks just like a 4" hole in the floor, you can see the lining on the inside of the hole, but it is not a pipe sticking out of the ground.

bowtech777

Reaction score
I was told there was already a trap in this drain.
Not sure about this.
it does hold water and flows.
you can see on the floor of the basement where the old shower was before it was removed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
But there is no connection.

You can't use set a shower over a floor drain without it being connected.

And for that, a plumber would take up enough floor to make that happen.

It's not hard, you are after all reinstalling a shower pan over the hole.

But if you ask a plumber what he would do, he would say, it should be plumbed in.

If I want to do my taxes, I don't ask my son in high school how he would do it, I ask my CPA.
And I have to take their advice, they know more.

Last edited:

bowtech777

Reaction score
I completely agree and i am not trying to say I know more than anyone on here.
what i was told is that there already is a p trap there, this was told to me by a professional plumber, I was wondering How the original shower was connected to that same drain hole?

the previous owner did not tear anything up from the floor..
He just removed the shower stall.

Isnt there some type of a reducer or fitting that could be used to make the connection?

other than tearing the floor up.

the only thing different right now than for the last 50 years is the shower was removed from its location and discarded.

no plumbing was removed from the floor.

do you think its possible that they just had the shower drain running into the opening of the drain in the floor?
if so.. then I will probably have to do what you are saying and create a connection with 2".

this is like a major mystery...

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Floor drain connection

Schulter is making a new floor drain connection - it is a drain adapter.

I'm not sure if this will work for you set up.

The floor drain that you are looking at is most likely a 4" P Trap. The previous owner most likely dropped the 2" drain leg into the 4" hole and was done with it.

The best repair is to bust up the concrete and convert your 4" line to 2" after the ptrap and you are off and running.

This repair can be made in a half day with demo hammer, small garden shovel, bag of post haze and some cement primer.

Or you can just Jerry Rig it and have a shower that doesn't meet code and may or may not work.

TonyKarns

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
tonysprofessionalremodeling.com
Shower drain

It seems to me you already have a p trap under the concrete if it already had a shower in place at one time. There are bushings that convert from a 4 inch cast iron to a 2" pvc. The bushing is tapped into place with a rubber mallet directly into the 4" pipe and the 2"pvc for the drain slides directly into the center of the bushing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks