Porch ceiling lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

remster

Reaction score
I have a question about proper electrical box for damp location. If a light is mounted on 'inside' ceiling of a covered porch, and the wire going to the light is in proper conduit and rated for damp/wet locations (THWN).

Is a weatherproof box required if you were to mount a light to one of the rafters of a porch like this?

Example picture:
ob2.jpg

Can either a steel or weatherproof box be used?

attachment.php

or

8237992.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would use a weatherproof box. One of our electrical gurus will tell us if that is a code requirement, but it only makes sense to do it that way, regardless.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
It's outdoors, so yes.

Edit: I was wrong.

I'm no code guru, but I do have a copy of the 2005 NEC... it defines damp location as:

Location,Damp. Locations protected from weather and not subject tosaturation with water or other liquids but subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such locations include partially protected locations under canopies, marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations (...)

Elsewhere, it says:

Damp or Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations, boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture from entering or accumulating within the box, conduit body, or fitting. Boxes, conduit bodies, and fittings installed in wet locations shall be listed for use in wet locations.

So, it sounds like you can use any old box, in a damp (but not wet) location, as long as you place or equip it so that moisture can't enter or accumulate in the box.

...But as a practical matter, I don't see how you could do that, without using a weatherproof box. Maybe on one of those porches that has a ceilinad and a roof, so there's a dry enclosed "attic" of sorts... but I'm not seeing that, in the picture you posted.

Last edited:

remster

Reaction score
Where does the NEC require weather proof boxes in damp locations? I know they do for wet.

Location, Damp. Locations protected from weather and
not subject to saturation with water or other liquids but
subject to moderate degrees of moisture. Examples of such
locations include partially protected locations under canopies,
marquees, roofed open porches, and like locations,
and interior locations subject to moderate degrees of moisture,
such as some basements, some barns, and some coldstorage
warehouses.

Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness
or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily
subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a
building under construction.

Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete
slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations
subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such
as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed
to weather.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
I seen both types of boxes used. Though the best thing to do is call your inspector and see what he wants. Are the fixtures you are going to use rated for damp locations?

remster

Reaction score
Does NEC require a certain type of box round vs rectangle for mounting a light fixture?

Would this style box be sufficient? It would mount much cleaner to the side of a rafter then a round box.

333300_4.jpg

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many light fixtures need a round box. For others the above will work. Depends on what fixture you want to install...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks