New Moen Tub spout not flush with tile wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmtrunner

Health care analyst.
Reaction score
The plumber installed the tub spout with a slight gap between the tile and the spout. Water will get behind the spout. Should I caulk this to close the gap? Or get the plumber to remove the gap by changing the pipe or another solution?

picture.php

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme spouts have a gasket. IF yours does, it shouldn't be a problem. IF not, then it's not a bad idea to caulk it. Does the spout screw on or is it a push-on type? If it screws on, you might be able to get another turn on it. IF it's a push on, if there's any movement in th pipe, without pushing against the back while pushing it on, you may never get it tight. Normally, the pipe behind would be anchored. Does the spout pull out if you pull on it or is it solidly anchored?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would use some clear polyseamseal on that.

I'm surprised you didn't go with Toto on your porcelain fixtures.
Toto is the best.

Last edited:

Dmtrunner

Health care analyst.
Reaction score
The plumber was surprised there was no gasket that came with it. I believe he told me this one screws on and we can't get one more twist as it is already tight on the other side. We were thinking the pipe fitting is not true 90 degrees and is causing the problem.

Dmtrunner

Health care analyst.
Reaction score
I found your form after I made the purchase, which is really to bad. Your forum is excellent a treasure trove of information. Thank you so much for doing this. I think I will use these for a while and then get something else. Is there a discussion thread on one piece unit vrs two piece toliet tank and bowl?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks