Faucet install slightly off by Plumber should he fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmtrunner

Health care analyst.
Reaction score
After installation of the faucets I notcied the spout is off center and the faucets are not equal in the distance from the off position. Is it typical for the home owner to make these adjustments or call the plumber back and have them make the changes.

picture.php

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, I would like to see it straight, but I would also like to know if something underneath prevented it from going in perfectly straight. It is something you should call the guy about, and see what he has to say.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Did you check to see if the holes in the sink (lav) were drilled on center?
I can't tell you how many times I've seen clay sinks that were not round, centered or consistent.

Is it the product?
Or the eye of the installer?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Out of wack install

Where you there when he installed it?

There are many things preventing good installs. The biggest problem is with solid surface counter tops and the cut outs for sinks. Many times you need to eat away at the wood underneath so the plumber has room to do his job.

I use forstner drill bits and my Fein multimaster to give the plumber some room.

Like mentioned above the sinks can come out of wack. This should have been inspected day one before the plumber was called to the site.

If you call the plumber back to fix his mistake and the sink is out or the sink cut out is wrong you are going to pay twice for sure. If your plumber just did a sloopy install he should fix it for free.

The fact that it was installed off center in the first place is alarming - this should have been brought to your attention durning the install.

It takes a long time to find the right plumber - when you find him treat him like he is family (he can be with you for a long long time).

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's little things like this that should motivate you to DIY.

Turdhurder

Reaction score
Looks like the tile guy messed up too . On the plumbing side of it , the plumber or whoever installed the faucet should come back and straighten the spout and align the handles . Easy fix . The tile job ( Not being centered ) is really bothering me and would not want that in my house .

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
Right handle is off too.
One good thing about older model taps is that everthing was ridgid underneath. It meant that if it was slightly out of line the whole thing was out of line together. Easier to straighten. With the spout there is can be a support post and if that was drilled skewed then it is harder to fix without jepordizing the firmness or security of the spout. But so I don't dishearten you, if could be a very simple fix and all will be happy in no time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Faucet

A simple bump with your hand will straighten out the faucet spout. The hot and cold barrels can be rotated to even out the handles. Once they were tightened, which happens before the handles are installed, the orientation of the handles depends on how the faucet's handle splines work out. The handle can only be indexed according to them, which is why I prefer to install them at a forward angle rather than exactly 180 degrees from each other, (which is much more apparent than a difference in degrees when they are at an angle. If the faucet has washers, then it doesn't make a lot of difference because they will continually change position as the washer seats itself and then starts to wear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks