Special Drain for Vessel Sink without Overflow?

Users who are viewing this thread

sanrico

Reaction score
Me again.

We bought a vessel sink without overflow for our bathroom. We bought a Kingston Brass faucet (model KS8078DL), which came with a pop-up drain. Nowhere in the literature for this faucet does it say whether this drain is designed for overflow sinks or non-overflow.

Is there a way I can tell? I don't know enough to just look at it and know if it's the proper drain or not.

Thanks again!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Overflow or not makes no difference.

many manufacturers are deleting the overflow because it is a place to harbor nasty bacteria.

sanrico

Reaction score
First off, thank you kindly for your quick response!

But I read that if there is no overflow on a vessel sink, you need a specific type of drain or the sink will drain very slowly. Isn't that true?

I have a p-trap all ready to install, but I read this about the vessel drain and I stopped to ask the question.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The only issues that I've heard about were where a grid drain had small holes which made it slow to drain. I don't think you'd have an issue with a pop up drain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the sink has no overflow, you will need a drain without overflow. A drain for sink with overflow, whether pop up or grid, will usually be too long for the thickness of the sink. Grid drains can have a problem due to small holes. If you swirl the water with your hand it goes down. If you drill out about 6 holes to about 9/32, that helps.

Any good supply house will have a drain without overflow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks