(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: boiler keeps going off/on, off/on....help!

Sorry it took so long to reply. Iíve been somewhat busy with painting and other things around the house, but I have been working on my boiler problem also. Not to mention insulating all my pipes and basement windows.

Anyway, so I smacked the flow check valve a couple of times with a hammer like recommended. I even manually opened the valve as a test. No difference, so I closed it back up and assumed its working ok.

I ran into another little problem. My safety relief valve has been leaking more and more water every day. It was getting to about 4 gallons a day. The valve was old, rusty and corroded, and it didnít have a nipple coming off it. So I replaced that this weekend thinking the valve was shot, and it was. No more leaking. I also purged all the convectors again, which all had about 20 seconds of air in them.

I also changed out the thermostat last week. Installed a Honeywell RTH6400D 5-1-1 (nice little thermostat). So I cranked the heat up to about 80 degrees. It was only about 45 degrees in the house at that time. I had the same problem. Boiler goes on for 4-5 mins, then shuts down for 4-5 mins, on and on and on. It takes about 1 hour or more just to get to 48 degrees.

I read the last post from MAoilTech about my aqua stat maybe being being bad, but Iíd hate to spend $350 on an aqua stat and finding out thatís not that problem.
    My settings are currently 180 hi /150 low, and as soon as its gets around 190 it shuts down like clock work, so it would appear to be working but Iím a novice so I could be totally wrong.

Iím still working on replacing the two convectors that were cracked. Iím not sure if that will really make a big difference, but Iím going to see if I can order one today or tomorrow.

I'm not sure what else to test or try so any or recommendations are welcomed, thanks.

350? for aqua-stat? I think you mis-read it the tech that came to your house charge you 350 for a cad cell? not for the aqua-stat click link

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...=next&start=20

Hydrolevel Company 3150

Default ahhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by TonyV53 View Post
    He had replaced a part which I can't remember the name of, but it's that safety eye that looks into the boiler and shuts down if it doesn't see light within 30secs. That cost me $350..
    I am sorry, but are there no comments regarding the "easier than a lightbulb" light sensor replacement job coming in at $350!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fingerusarthriticus View Post
    I am sorry, but are there no comments regarding the "easier than a lightbulb" light sensor replacement job coming in at $350!!!
    Agreed, but that is just how some contractors are taking advantage of homeowners. I once had a problem years back with an oil boiler at one my properties that would not fire. Called out a local heating company who "correctly diagnosed" the problem as air in the single oil line. Cost me $95 for the diagnosis and he wanted $450 to run a new line set 10ft.

I paid him his $95 and sent him on his way. I called out the handyman my family has used for decades. I told him what the problem was. He saw they had used compression fittings on the copper line. He said that was a no-no. He took those off. Changed them to flare fittings. Used these little cans of compressed gas to flush the lineset, purged the air at the burner and got me running. All this on a weekend and he charged me $200. I was glad to pay him. I didn't even have to ask how much, he is pricing is not cheap but VERY fair.

He works exclusively on word of mouth and doens't take new customers. I only call him out when I am in a pinch because he knows his stuff. He's been maintaining the very old equipment at some of my apartments and keeps them running. Where most contractos would say replace it he knows how to service and maintain them so that isn't necesarry.

He does my annual service on 2 oil furnaces, nozzle, filter, oiling, vaccums out combustion chamber and never lets me down. If something needs to be replaced he does it and just tells me what I owe him.

DIY Junior Member

I'm not a pro but have been keeping a few boilers in our family running for 30 some years. I just joined this forum looking for several tips when I saw this problem. Maybe I missed it, but when you are trying to determine if your pump is pumping, do you hear water flowing out of the boiler? I can usually hear the pump kick on and if I touch (carefully) the pipe flowing out it gets hot fast. You can follow the trail of heat to see how far it goes and also feel the cool water enter the pump from the return. It's hard to bleed all the air without the pump running.

I've also used jumper wires to verify the pump runs. I didn't look at all the pics but if you closed valves that hadn't been used in awhile, a gate could be broke off blocking flow. Just a couple thoughts, good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by rmelo99 View Post
    Agreed, but that is just how some contractors are taking advantage of homeowners. I once had a problem years back with an oil boiler at one my properties that would not fire. Called out a local heating company who "correctly diagnosed" the problem as air in the single oil line. Cost me $95 for the diagnosis and he wanted $450 to run a new line set 10ft.

I paid him his $95 and sent him on his way. I called out the handyman my family has used for decades. I told him what the problem was. He saw they had used compression fittings on the copper line. He said that was a no-no. He took those off. Changed them to flare fittings. Used these little cans of compressed gas to flush the lineset, purged the air at the burner and got me running. All this on a weekend and he charged me $200. I was glad to pay him. I didn't even have to ask how much, he is pricing is not cheap but VERY fair.

He works exclusively on word of mouth and doens't take new customers. I only call him out when I am in a pinch because he knows his stuff. He's been maintaining the very old equipment at some of my apartments and keeps them running. Where most contractos would say replace it he knows how to service and maintain them so that isn't necesarry.

He does my annual service on 2 oil furnaces, nozzle, filter, oiling, vaccums out combustion chamber and never lets me down. If something needs to be replaced he does it and just tells me what I owe him.
    Some have Pride in what they are doing some do not if your handyman has his oil license all good the issue with non-license oil teck's come's down to insurance this happen to a lady in the town I live in she had non-license guy install a heating unit could not pull permit with no license 3 week's later the house burn down cuz of fire with there heating unit was not properly installed the lady Insurance company did not pay her for her lost.