(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Which Gas Hot Water Heater?

Hybrid View

Default Which Gas Hot Water Heater?

I already answered the question of should I replace my gas hot water heater. My house was built in the early 1990s and I am the second owner. I believe it still has the original hot water heater and it is still running strong. You can't always go by if it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially after reading what could happen (leaks, floods, etc).

Anyway, a family member recommended a local HVAC company for the job. I spoke to the owner and he was very nice and did not put any pressure on me. The house is a two story colonial and about 3,000 square foot. 2 adults and 2 children (4 1/2 and 6 1/2 years old). He installs Bradford White hot water heaters and said that I should go with a 40 gallon heater. Now here is the confusing part for me. Which one should I choose? High efficiency or regular and 6 or 10 year warranty? Prices include labor, heater and takeaway. I plan on being in the house for a long time.

High efficiency 6 yr warranty heater
    High efficiency 10 yr warranty heater

*My local gas and electric company (PECO) is offering a $50 rebate for ENERGY STAR qualified gas hot water heaters purchased and installed by 12/31/09.
    *IRS Tax Credit???

Normal efficiency 6 yr
    Normal efficiency 10 yr

I am leaning towards the high efficiency 6 yr heater which includes a $50 rebate. Seems like a good bang for the buck. I definitely decided not to go with Lowes or Home Depot even though they are cheaper, but only slightly. It's nice to have a local HVAC company that can give you great service. And I will be replacing my gas heating and central air cooling system soon as that is original as well. Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Terry; 01-11-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Generally, the difference in warranty is essentially an insurance policy...they are usually the same tank. So, check out the warranty provisions, and then decide. WIth any insurance, it's pot luck if you'll ever use it. The pros here like the Bradford White brand.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

The Bradford White is a great heater. Another good one is the GE/Rheem. Extended warranties are big money makers for the companies, big losers for the consumer. Sure, once in awhile they will pay off, but overall, you lose.

40 gallons is on the smallish side for your family. I would opt for 50 gallons.

Good idea. I googled gas hot water heater sizing and found this chart on lowes.com...

Water Heater Size Chart
    People Gallons
    2 30-40
    3 40
    4 40-50
    5+ 50-80

Bradford White has a sizing chart on their website and the chart recommended 50 gal. I will call the guy tomorrow and get a price on a 50 gal unit. From what I understand, there is not much of a price jump going from 40 gal to 50 gal. My wife and I shower every morning. The kids shower at night. When the young ones get older, I am sure that they will take longer showers My wife does 3 loads of laundry every Sunday and we run the dishwasher once a week (sometimes less). Can't hurt to go with a 50 gal unit?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    40 gallons is on the smallish side for your family. I would opt for 50 gallons.

DIY Senior Member Runs with bison's Avatar

Having an undersized (40 gallon) tank could nick you on resale of the home should that ever happen. There is effectively little to no efficiency loss in going from 40-50 gallons and there is not much price difference, so assuming it will fit, go with the 50.

Our kids are about three years older than yours. We use 1.5/1.6 gpm shower heads and yesterday all four of us showered in the space of about an hour without running out of hot water. Our water heater setpoint is between 120-125 F and incoming water temp is about 50 F right now.