Drain Offset for Single Bowl Sink w/ Disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

Galbraith

Reaction score
When locating the drain line for a single bowl kitchen sink that will receive a garbage disposal, should the drain line be offset (in lieu of centered between the hot and cold stub outs) to allow for enough room between the trap and the disposal? If it should be offset, what is the recommended offset?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Mine comes out about centered on the bowl with the disposal serving the right hand bowl. Line comes out and 45's to the left hand bowl trap. Disposal dumps into the left hand trap. I had no problems when I switched to a deeper undermount and had to reconfigure a bit.

Galbraith

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, with a double bowl sink I am clear on the location of the drain outlet, just need a little insight when plumbing a single bowl sink.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can go with an 8" offset for the single bowl.

The drain is lower then the water supplies.
I would center the water supplies.

And don't forget the hammer arrestor on the hot side.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here's a tidbit from the 09 IPC that should thrill you all

Water hammer devices are no longer required..... anywhere.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain and hammers

We have not used them here in the 37 years I have lived here. The drain off to the side makes an easier installation. Between the radius of the disposer, the elbow drain for it, and the trap's built in offset, you can probably go up to 9" off center, but probably do not need that much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks