Very Loud Boiler Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
I live in an apt. complex with boiler baseboard heat, and each unit has their own pump, located in the laundry room. One of the pumps is making a very loud grinding noise. I called in a maintenance request, and when I followed up, they told me that the service man couldn't hear anything, so he just oiled all the pumps. Today, it is louder than ever and telegraphing the noise through the pipes in the wall. It is driving me crazy.

Any ideas why this pump is so loud, and if it can be fixed or just needs to be swapped out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the age and capacity required, you may have a motor driving a pump, or a circulator, which is a motor integrated with a pump. You can't really oil a circulator, but you may be able to oil bits of a motor or the shaft going to a pump. Often, once they start to make noises, it's time to replace.

Kiko

Reaction score
Thanks a lot.
Well, it got so loud, I got them back over here.
They replaced the coupler, and it's quiet as a mouse.

The reason no one else was complaining is because that pump actually comes in contact with my pump, which sent the vibrations screaming through my pipes. They still haven't addressed that problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks