Replacing old boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

franjr

Reaction score
Therma Flow 30 gal oil fired lasted a loooong time. Old house/plumbing. Wise to buy a used unit that is 6 years old for $300 or invest in new one for $2100?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Hmm you say boiler but since you said 30gal makes me think you mean water heater.

I think that 10-15years is the MAX recommended life for most water heaters. Some last much longer, and some much less.

I have never owned and oil fired unit but I do know they are pricier than gas or electric units. I would be hesitant to buy a used one at 6years old. I would prob only consider it if the tank was stainless or something other than steel. Who knows how much life is left in a used tank.

patsfan78

Web Development | HVAC
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechheat.com
I think you are talking about a water heater, if so 12-15 years is a very good life for water heater. So if you can spend 300 and get the chance of 6 or so good years, or even just a few years, than it might be worth it. But remember, no warranty, no guarantee to last 6 years, no recourse if something goes wrong.

Do you have to go with an oil water heater or can you go with an indirect??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks