(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Another venting question

Default Another venting question

Hi, We are preparing for an upstairs bath renovation in a 1 story timber-frame house. Each floor will have 1 full bath with the kitchen also on the first floor & the washer in the basement. The house was owner-built in the 80s & there are a few un-vented fixtures & I would like to correct any faults during the renovation process.

My question is regarding venting. It is not clear to me if is it required to maintain a constant stack all the way from the sewer to the roof (3 in this case) or can I treat the two floors separately (10 fixture units 1st floor, 6 fixture units 2nd floor) venting each floor with 2, then joining the two into a 3 vent in the attic for the roof penetration ? The timber frame of the house makes pipe runs even more difficult so the smaller diameter would make things quite a bit easier & minimize any boxing in that is likely to come up.

Thanks, TD

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In most codes, you need to have a composite area of 3" going up.
    If your kitchen goes up separately, you would count that area, and the area for the washer if it goes up on it's own.
    In the drawing above, I have two bathrooms vented with 2"

Hi Terry, Thanks for your reply. If I am able to vent this way, I would have the kitchen sink, washer & one full bath on one 2" vent straight to the attic & then one full bath also straight to the attic (separate run) & they would then join at the existing 3" roof vent.

I saw that very drawing in another thread which is what got me wondering. Thanks for a great site.

Best, TD

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In that case, it takes two 2" lines and one 1.5" to make a composite area of a 3" pipe.

2- 2"
    1- 1.5"

Thanks, There is enough room in the chase to run another 1 1/2" or 2" vent all the way from the washer (bsmt) to the attic. Sounds like that will work!

Thanks again, TD

I did my log home similarly, and it works extremely well, and the inspector was fine with it. I had the same problems with pipe runs: none in exterior walls, or interior log walls.

Default vents

As long as you already have a 3" vent out the roof, you could join all the basement plumbing into one 2" vent which would extend up to the attic, and then either connect to the 3" vent, or penetrate the roof separately.