How a phone center office still generate power to rj-11 port when breakdown?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathan

Reaction score
hi all,

as we know the rj-11 which generate 48DV voltage from the center office.
even when our house electricity break down we still can make call.
if the center office also break down ? does the rj-11 still supply power to our phone? how does it work ? my lecturer say it still can make call! but where does the energy came from ? does the rj-11 can store enegy for a long duration? or the center office have a very large power generator ? if got a generator it support to MIllion of people at once ? i think that is impossible. OR maybe center office there got many capacitor attach to the rj-11 port circuit....

i'm really confuse at it ... can someone give me a guidance ?

Last edited:

Jonathan

Reaction score
emmm ...jimbo .... u mean the batteries is in the phone or the rj-11 port got battery inside ? if u mean the batteries for the phone, then is not i wanted. because i mean the old fashion phone without display or any other function. just for normal call only.

if u mean the battery is inside the rj-11 port.... mean got battery inside work like capasitor ? / or maybe the battery is at the center office side.

ECOfarmer

Reaction score
The phone system runs off a battery system. The batteries are at offices thorough the country and have back up AC or DC generators depending on the office setup.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The power is in the central office. The 48 volts DC, or 32 volts DC in centrex systems, comes through the wires to your house, where it powers the electronic circuits in your phone. Of course, any kind of phone which requires plugged in to AC power at your house to run its electronic feature circuits, such as cordless phone, answer machine, etc.....THESE will not work without the AC line power in your house.

That is why it is good to keep one regular plain old phone in the house, so when the cordless won't work, and the cell phones won't work, there is a good chance your plain old phone will work.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here's some batteries at the phone company...

batteries.jpg

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Great photo. I used to do all of the power cut ins for these battery banks in phone company co's. They only allow cut ins between 12a-6a to minimize the risk of losing phone service. There are backups of backups of backups inside most phone company co's. Many large city buildings have no windows for security purposes.

Thassler

Reaction score
Can you imagine shorting this array? It would probably melt a crowbar. Violently.

I witnessed a dropped crescent wrench at one of these at a telco. It landed across 2 copper bus bars completing the circuit. It turned a spectacular color of white before melting.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am a little surprised at the photo, unless I can't see well. Are all those racks just bare steel? Light fixtures open to atmosphere??

On submarines, we have a bank of 125 batteries. Each cell is about the size of 8 of those in the picture. The entire battery compartment is specially treated oak battens, and everything metal is coated with a heavy coating of plastisol. No metal goes into the compartment. You leave your watch, belt buckle, etc at the entrance hatch. All tools needed are specially coated and kept in the compartment. Light fixtures are of the explosion proof rated type. Hydrogen is nasty!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hydrogen in a sealed up submarine verses a building where you could vent to the outside are two different animals. Big problems if the ventilation fails, though, in either case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks