Disposal

Users who are viewing this thread

P0ZBURN

Reaction score
Hi,
I remodeled my kitchen about 2 years ago and I had installed a new sink disposal. The badger 1, now the thing leaks through the bottom of it. I figure that cannot be good for the motor and that it doesn't have long to go.
I've been looking around on the internet and I have read that the galvenized grinding area can deteriorate prematurely due to dishwasher soaps. I think that might have happened to me because I rarely use the disposal but I use the dishwasher alot. Anyone know of a good brand of sink disposal?
Anyone ever use a whirlaway brand? I was thinking of the model 384.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
for what it's worth, I think you are right. I had one disposer that first the connection for the dishwasher inlet fell off (I epoxied a plastic stub in which worked for a few years), then, one day, the thing just fell off of the sink mount - it was rotted out. I switched to a liquid dishwasher soap and the replacement has worked fine for many years. This is much more of a problem if your hot water isn't hot enough to fully disolve the powdered soap. I switched out my dw, too, about that time. It has the ability to heat the water if it isn't hot enough. This can happen if the heater is a long ways from the dishwasher, it isn't set hot enough, the pipes arent' insualated well, or the pipe runs through an unheated area. Since the dw doesn't use a lot of water, it may not run long enough to get hot. My unprofessional experience.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Insinkerator is really the big gorilla in disposers, but the Badger 1 is bottom of the line. If you don't use the disposer much, a Badger 5 or 5 Plus is all you need. Howver, to get all stainless steel innards, you have to move up to a model 555SS, but the steep price may not be worth it. On average, a Badger 5 will last 5 to 8 years at about 1/3 the cost of a 555SS.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's an Insinkerator (don't know the model)...been working for probably 8 years or so, no visible problems.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
ISE is the best

ISE is the best, just get the badger V and you will be fine...

they cost about 80 ,,, if you want someting heavier the 333 is good
it costs about 150?

all of them have failed me on occasioin.
once in a while they just turn out a bad one
that only lasts a few months.

but they are stilll better than the alternatives.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
gimme that badger...

Yup, Badger 5 all the way...

The best replacement that I've found for all the cheap crap out there (yes, even the Badger 1). There's only a 2 year in-house warranty, but I haven't heard any complaints about them in the years that I've been putting ISE's in... my bread and butter!

A

alhurley

I dunno - I'm no plumber, but...

A few years ago my ISE was leaking as described. Had a dishwasher that saw light duty, but we also had a well. Went to homer's and got an ISE, but on the way home stopped at local hardware and saw Waste King Bone Crusher for same price with SS chamber and much better warranty against leaks. Still running fine after about 4 yrs and as far as I know still is (we've moved).

I'm always skeptical of "gorillas" - doesn't necessarily make them technically superior. Just look at the Windows OS. :rolleyes:

-art-

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks