(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drain Line (Snake) Advice

Jack of all trades,, master of none SoInBoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    When a 1/2" snake encounters a heavy root mass, it WILL tangle, either in the pipe or around your arm or hand. IF you go through the toilet, be prepared to pay extra for the rental, because it could take you two hours just to get the snake to turn downward at the fitting under the wall. USUALLY it will decide to turn upward and after you put about 15' of snake into the pipe go outside and see if it is sticking out of the roof and banging around on your shingles.
    Haha.. gotta big kick outta that..

Not to add fuel to the fire,, but I'm a DIY'er and I have a little plumbing experience with drain cleaning experience.. I purchased a 1/2" cable auger years ago and have had good luck cleaning the tree root-ed drains out yearly.

I've had the cable wrap around my arm before and pull out several hairs as well as leave bloody "pinch" marks for about a week.. It doesn't feel good at all.. I am very fortunate that's all I've ever gotten...

My "adolescent" advice is to leave this to the pro's.. I can't imagine what a 3/4" would do to a person..
    Gary

Injuries can get pretty serious...

http://www.wbbm780.com/Contractor-de...-in-po/5491138

I'd say thats about as serious as it gets...

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

There is a machine that uses 1/2" cable that is made to clear roots in 3" to 6" lines. Its the Magnum .55 cable that a Spartan 300 uses in place of the 5/8 cable.

Now as for standard 1/2" cable like the stuff used in a Spartan 100 the longest length is 75' and it can do 4" drains. But is not the best choice for a root blockage, it can easily kink up on itself in inexperienced hands.

Jack of all trades,, master of none SoInBoy's Avatar

I never would of thought something like that could happen..

I have had to replace the cable of few times because it gets bent up pretty bad.

I have to clean my drains out twice a year. I had and have trees surrounding my house. That's why i purchased the auger, rather than pay someone to come in and do it twice a year.. I've been told that they used that old clay tile stuff underneath my house, and that its breaking up and cracking.. Any suggestions?
    Gary

Default clay

The house would have to be very old, possibly dating to the 1940's or before to have clay pipes under the floors. Metal pipes were scarce and expensive during the war years. If you have them you either live with them or replace them, there are no other "feasible" options.

I have on 2 occassions rented a big machine. The second time it wrapped around my arm, scaring the hell out of me. Not me, not any more.
    not a licensed plumber