Replacing Vinyl flooring with Tile in bathroom and have toilet question

Users who are viewing this thread

91Aggie

Reaction score
We are replacing the vinyl flooring in our bathroom with tile.

Here's the plan:
1) Take toilet out (I know how to do this).
2) Put tile down.
3) then put toilet back in.

My question is on part #3. Will I have to do anything complicated since the tile will put the toiler up a little higher than when it was sitting on the vinyl?

Or will the wax ring make up that slight difference in height?

I've read about and seen videos on replacing toilets, but nothing on the internet I can find talks about this particular issue, so I want to make sure I don't need to anything with what is currently attached to the concrete floor.

Thanks in advance.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Ideally, your flange should sit on or at the level of the tile, if necessary it can work with the top of the flange level with the tile. Any lower and you can have issues.

91Aggie

Reaction score
So, can that flange be easily raised?

Is this a major plumbing job, or something a DIYer can do relatively painlessly?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
There are extension rings that can be added to bring the height of the flange up. DIY is fine in 99.9999% of the jobs as long as the original flange is in good condition.

91Aggie

Reaction score
Thanks for your fast response. I think that confirms what I've found since posting here (adjusted my Google search and found some other sites that talk about this issue).

Feeling much better about this now!

91Aggie

Reaction score
Thanks... My brother (who owns a Ceramic Tile installation business) is doing the actual tiling, so I've got that under control! :D )

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flange is low, it may take two wax rings, or something like a Fluidmaster Waxless seal.
If you use the Waxless seal, it pushes on the bowl first.

fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg

If you use the Fluidmaster waxless seal, push it onto the bottom of the bowl first.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks