Boiler/Water Heater combo for townhouse

Users who are viewing this thread

FlemishBond

Reaction score
Hi All:

I've bought a (roughly 3,000sqft) townhouse built in 1908 with a boiler from 1964 powering about 7 radiators. The boiler needs replacing.

I've also got a newer water heater installed that I may keep. I've gutted the house and am in the process of renovating. It's 2 stories with an unfinished basement that I want to convert into a one bedroom rental. I've had contractors in, one of whom recommended a Weil-Mclain combination boiler/water heater. This was the first I'd ever heard of these systems.

I've read that combi systems sometimes can't handle strong burdens on water demand. By the end of the renovation, I'll have three bathrooms and a kitchen upstairs and a kitchen and bathroom for the tenant in the basement.

What system would best serve my requirements? A traditional system or a combination system? What brands are best? I've read about Munchkin, Weil-Mclain and Buderus. Also, the contractors who brought up the idea of a combination system said they could install it. Is it better to have the boiler co. install? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks