Please look i need expert advice quick!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

VTXdude

Reaction score
Please look I need expert advice quick!!!!

I'm sorry guys I'm not trying to be a whiner here but after this other plumber installed the 4 inch vent I am scared to death...

How hot should Type B pipe get??? All of a sudden after this plumber installed 4 inch pipe my Tee and chimney feed (Type B) becomes very hot to the touch! I don't recall that happening with the 3 inch pipe and in fact when I made the comment that it seemed cooler than the other pipes(when 3 inch was in) he said of course it would be because it is double lined pipe and doesn't get as hot as the single wall. Well take a look at these pics before and after it looks like he crimped the 4 inch pipe and put it OVER the Tee opening instead of in it like it was before and taped it up..to me that is forcing a lot of the exhaust out to the surface of the Tee and chimney

I don't think I am being an alarmist here am I???? Please , you guys are the experts and I need help. I'm not trying to whine but I have 2 kids in the house and am afraid of what he has done.....he also spun the Tee out a bit to get it away from the wood and now that is loose at it's connection to the chimney

Please look at before and after and help me please

I wish you guys were in NH and I know it would get done right..what is wrong with the plumbers I am getting from Sears??? They are independent plumbers/contractors for Sears

How do I find someone who can do it right? A big company????? I can't just open the phone book and guess

Please help with you expert knowledge.........I'm trying to learn

Attachments

• IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG_1669.jpg
    IMG_1669.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:

VTXdude

Reaction score
Guys it just occurred to me that it looks like he didn't use a reducer fitting and now flue gasses are going between the two walls of the Type-B vent, which is why it's getting so hot.

Am I in any danger of having a house fire with this setup? If those flue gases are going up between the walls of the pipe isn't it getting very hot on the outside of the pipe higher up behind my walls???

I can't believe this

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
No your not being paranoid or an "alarmist" at all. That work is HORRIBLE! any kind of tape should NEVER be used to secure flue pipe together, it should always be screwed together.
And fitting that pipe to the B-vent like that is horrifying as well. You only show a picture of that one part there I can't imagine how dangerous and horrible the rest looks. Oh did I mention what they did is dangerous?
I can't say what to do to actually make it right since I have no details and am not there in person but that is horrible and you should find someone competent enough to make that proper.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Guys it just occurred to me that it looks like he didn't use a reducer fitting and now flue gasses are going between the two walls of the Type-B vent, which is why it's getting so hot.

Am I in any danger of having a house fire with this setup? If those flue gases are going up between the walls of the pipe isn't it getting very hot on the outside of the pipe higher up behind my walls???

I can't believe this

This is the kind of work that licenses are lost over after the disaster & forensic analysis. If you haven't paid for it yet, don't. Get an inspector in there to document & cite the guy, and find an alternate contractor to do it right pronto! (This would be unusually bad even for a slobby DIY job.)

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater vent pipe type b

If you paid sears for this work i would start with the store manager and

polity ask what kind of unlicensed hacks they have doing their work

tell him you are having the city building inspector "and" fire dept to inspect

and check your house for carbon monoxide leaks ! !

From this jackaxx installation,

you can never, never, never reduce a vent like that,

you never go from a larger vent to a smaller vent ! !

I think if sears is involved they will pay someone to correct that PDQ FAST ! !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks