Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is an email I got from Angie's List

I ask if you are the best at what you do because you know that Angie's List members are paying to find the best companies in their area. Your numerous A reports would indicate that you are one of the best at what you do, but still ZERO members found your company out of more than the 1500+ different members who searched your service categories during the past 90 days in your area.
As a highly rated company, I know that you are probably busy enough in terms of taking on any new business right now, but if you can take on more business and would like to position your company so that all of those members can easily find you instead of having to search pages of companies, which we know people are not likely to do, please give me a call and we can discuss the options that are available to you. I look forward to speaking with you and wish you continued success going into 2010.

I have an "A" Rating with Angie's List, and according to them, nobody can find me on their list.
They are asking me to pay them money to be "seen" by their customers.
Did you know that there are "A" companies in Angie's List that you will never find?
I guess I'm learning that too.
I don't really pay much attention to Angie's List,
I do have plenty of repeat customers that love our work.

When an A grade is not enough.
ZERO members found your company

I've gotten the Super Service Award two years in a row, but you would never know that looking on Angie's

angies_list_08_award.jpg

I guess they are just like the phone books.
Big money buys big ads.
It's not about the consumer, it's about getting money from the contractors.
So all you consumers "paying" to find the best businesses, you're just paying to see those businesses that can afford to pay the most in advertising.
Meet the best plumber that you will never see on Angies.
Yeah, even though Angies reviewers think that we are in the top 5%

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Terry , they are skum and pricks

Terry.... I totally despise them

This is called a an old fashioned .......SHAKE DOWN....

if you wont pay them for advertiesing
they they wont let anyone know you are on
their shitty exclusive little list....
even though you are on it...

then if you pay them about $500 per month,,
they will promote your name on their web site
and sing your praises to the top of Mount Raineer

also.... they will look the other way when you rape ,
pillage, and plunder little old ladies
If you charge someone 1800 for a TOTO toilet
that is ok with them.... because you greased their slimey palms..

their is one company in our town that charges
1500 for a 40 gallon gas water heater and then
gives the customer a $100 dollar off Angies list discount.
.:eek: .....what a deal...what great guys they are

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Angie

They probably COULD find you if they wanted to scroll down to the bottom of the list, past Jose's Plumeria who did pay extra to be moved to the top/front of the line.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
I tried the Angie's list thing. I didn't do it because they wanted cash. They sent me an email asking why I chose not join and I said "Well, I don't recall Craig ever charging me to look at his list." I never got a response.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Just another company trying to get a as many $$$ out of who ever they think they can persuade to let go of their cash...

Their tactics are creative as well as some what deceptive...there is no way to know what an A rating realy means...or to guard against its abuse by home owners...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you get an "A" rating until the first customer who thinks you charged too much writes a negative review.

I have quite a few reviews, and it's still an A rating after three years.
I got two negative reviews from people that we didn't work for.
They still wanted to write reviews, even though we didn't do the work.

But the ones that we "did" work for, gave us very high reviews.

I also have an A+ rating with BBB

Last edited:

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
I dunno bout dem folks down at Angie's List whether they just be dumbazz's or if dey be wishin fer me an my ol scatter gun "The Widowmaker" pay dem a visit.

They sent me a e-mail jes like the one you got only they sent this.

angies-moonshine.jpg

Looks like they really don't git how we operate in the moonshine bizness.
My bizness don't advertize in no stinking yeller pages, an it don't have no stinkin website.
All my bizness is word of mouth n new customers better come with an introduction or me an "The Widowmaker" needs to take acksun.

Last thing I want is a bunch o strangers snoopin around.
They might jes be revenuers...

I swear if I new where their hideout wuz they'd be splainin some things ta me an "The Widowmaker"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Dang. That is another thing I do not understand about America.

HOOCH!

Does it still exist?

Why is it illegal?

What is it like?

Where could someone get it?

I've got a feeling Western Virginia is calling...

North Carolina is just too city.

Last edited:

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Dang. That is another thing I do not understand about America.

HOOCH!

Does it still exist?

Yep

Why is it illegal?

Cause we believes good whiskey shouldn't be taxed

What is it like?

Powerful

Where could someone get it?

Good connecsuns in the right places

I've got a feeling Western Virginia is calling...

Yur close!

North Carolina is just too city.

Not everywhere in NC is citified

It's the good stuff an we don't need no Angie's List!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hillbilly Man Long time no hear from buddy. How's things going at the still? Them damn revenuers on yer tail agin?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Please don't tell me the Police track you down for selling or making a bit of "home brew". That's not freedom, that's crazy.

Can hooch be made legally for one's own consumption i.e. not for sale?

Same goes for beer and wine?

And what valves are best on a still?

I see Punkin Chunkin air guns only use Apollo ones and not the cheapo Chinese valves.

Does Hooch and Punkin Chunkin go together? And in what order? Hooch and then Punkin Chunkin?

I need to find me a man with a still.

Last edited:

Export!

DIY Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a thread go so far off topic. Not that I mind in the least. If off topic posts were a crime they would have to reopen Alcatraz just for me.

I always liked this design. High tech enough to satisfy the frustrated engineer in me.

http://www.moonshine-still.com/

Reaction score
Please don't tell me the Police track you down for selling or making a bit of "home brew". That's not freedom, that's crazy.

Can hooch be made legally for one's own consumption i.e. not for sale?

Same goes for beer and wine?

Ahhh...there is some history to this, as in the Revolutionary War, and the Whiskey Rebellion shortly thereafter. Whiskey (hooch) was used as currency by those on frontier. They couldn't economically ship their grain back East, but whiskey could be shipped without losing so much to transportation costs.

Following our revolution we had debts to pay, so Congress levied a tax on whiskey. This produced a rebellion of sorts among rural folk (mainly civil disobedience, disrupting tax collection, interrupting the mail.) George Washington exerted Federal authority to put down the rebellion, calling up the militia to arrest the leaders. There were not "battles", a few folks were rounded up. Two were sentenced to death but Washington pardoned them. And that was that, Federal tax authority was established.

In the early 1900's there was a strong temperance movement in the Midwest with state prohibition and finally Federal prohibition. It was one of the great travesties of the time and little good came of it. (See the rise of organized crime.) It also turned farmers into "criminals." At least two of my great grandfathers subverted prohibition for their own use and were arrested separately for making beer and whiskey. For one the neighbor's cattle somehow gained access to the mash and ended up drunk...in that case it was a great great uncle's mash, but on the great grandfather's property.

In 1978/1979 Federal prohibition on home brewing was lifted. Several states still prohibit homebrewing including Kentucky, Mississippi, and Alabama although few are enforcing it.

Hooch on the other hand is a bit different, especially when it comes to making grain alcohol. Distilling is treated differently than just brewing beer. I don't know the limitations on this. Back when I was making alcohol it was at the rate of about 20+ million gallons a year (200 proof anhydrous and 190 proof USP.) ;) ...all legal and denatured.

Cookie

Reaction score
For the past 2 year I only hire from Angie's List and never have a problem anymore. I also give them the good reviews they deserve. I did a roofer, a carpenter and a plasterer. I never use the phone book. Nor does my neighbor's & friends. Either Angie's List or word of mouth recommendations.

Actually more like 3 years.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This topic has gone off-topic but moonshine and hooch are possibly the most important things to learn about on this entire forum at this time.

In fact, a dedicated hooch and moonshine section might seem warranted.

Stills and Punkin Chunkin air guns rely on a particularly sound knowledge of plumbing.

I'll never look at my water heater the same way again. Surely, that can be modified into a whiskey-maker or a pumpkin thrower?

Thank you Runs with Bison for the useful history.

And HJ, what's wrong with 50/50 solder and why isn't food grade solder used on potable water plumbing instead if it's such a big deal?

punkinCannonPort.jpg

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian, the best thing about being an American is that even with a failing economy, a couple of wars, a healthcare crisis and the poo generally hitting the fan, we can still find time for the more important things in life like American Idol and chucking pumpkins. You know damn well that there ain't nobody chucking no pumpkins in Rooooshia.

Oh yes, the 50/50 thing. Gotta get the lead out and we ain't talking Zepplin here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks