(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Removing a tub and installing a shower

Hybrid View

Default Removing a tub and installing a shower

The current set up in the bathroom is with a tub where a shower head has been installed. So, you shower in the tub. I am going to remove the tub and replace it with a glassed in shower that is fully tiled. I know that there are water supply shut off for the toilet and the sink and that it's likely there isn't a shut off for the tub. Is it possible to remove the tub and do the work without having the shut the water off for the entire house? If I do turn the water back on before the project is finished will the tub faucet drip if the faucet isn't removed? You see part of the problem is that this is the only bathroom for the house and the toilet needs to be accessible without the non-existent tub filling the water and getting all over the floor.

Just how much "remodeling is involved? Are you ripping out the drywall/cementboard? If so, once you get access to the valve, you can cap off the copper pipe leading to the faucet.

I assume you're going to replace the valve too........ Again... if you get to the studs, removing/blocking off the valve assembly is a simple matter of sweating caps onto the piping until you're ready to re-assemble.... Of course, that assumes you're able to sweat copper piping...
    It's 9a.m. Let's have a beer!

Under the tiles that I just took off the wall is drywall. So this must come off and then I am going to replace it with cement board.

So, because the enclosure is now going to be a shower I can cap the faucet to the tub entirely, permanently? That's great.

Sweat copper pipes? I need to do this so that cap fits properly?

Your unfamiliarity with the term, "sweating" indicates you are a real novice. Redoing a bathroom is a challenging task for a somewhat experienced DIYer, and it may be more than you should tackle with some skilled assistance. This is especially true since this is the only bathroom in the house. BTW, "sweating" refers to soldering copper pipe/fittings. It gets the name because the flux that is applied to the pipe and fittings causes the molten solder to suck into the space between the two. You have several plumbing tasks to do, and they must be done right or you'll have mega problems. I strongly suggest you have a plumber analyze your job and at least point out what has to be done. You might be able to do the tear out and reconstruction of the room, etc., but you'd better get some plumbing help.

Gotta agree with the "Swart-man"....

While it's not difficult for someone with experience, it can be disasterous for a novice. Pull down your drywall... expose pipes.... and call a plumber or more experienced friend...
    It's 9a.m. Let's have a beer!

Thanks for the sweating advice. At least I knew what to ask about. I picked up the tools, had a lesson on what I was doing and it worked. Now I just need to pressure test, i.e. turn the tap on to make sure that the cap is going to stay in place.