Can a 32" tub go where a 30" was?

Users who are viewing this thread

AK-Maxx

Reaction score
I'm replacing my old tub, but the new one I like is 32", the old one is 30". I'm on a second floor, and have not yet removed the old tub. What needs to be done to install a 32"?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They are the same length.
Plumbing code requires 15" from the center of a toilet, to the edge of a tub.
If you install a 32" tub, it will be 2" closer.

AK-Maxx

Reaction score
Will I have problems with the drain lining up? I'll have to drill ne holes in the surrond, so that doesn't matter too much, I'm mostly worried about the drain. I have well over 15" to the tub frm the toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In other words, it would be a fluke if the drain lined up!

Now, whether you're lucky or not, it could be easy. If there's a joist in the way, it could get ugly. You won't know until you look.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Installing a tub can be a real pain the ass I'm not gonna lie. Sometimes you can't get at the drainage from below or the side so you have to measure up carefully and have the drain in place so when you set the new tub down it hits the drain bang on.

Each bath tub is a unique adventure :D You never know what you're up against until you rip the old tub out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

You have to relocate the drain, and also the faucet to make it look proper and centered on the drain. I assume the surround is a separate unit, otherwise you will not get it into the room, nor into position.

AK-Maxx

Reaction score
The tub and surround will both be separate. I'll just have to look, then I'll start asking more questions. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks