Rough-In Move?

Users who are viewing this thread

scireja

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a first-time homebuyer, so please forgive any ignorance I have on these issues.
My problem: The rough-in in my basement is in a poor location. How difficult is it to move the three connections of this rough-in approximately 10 feet? Is it a matter of cutting into the concrete slab? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

TheZster

Reaction score
Oboy Oboy.... you're gonna have fun.

There have been numerous posts lately concerning cutting into concrete and moving plumbing.... Scan the recent items and you'll see what you're up against....

It's not difficult (depending on your definition of the term).. and there are a myriad of ways to do it.... from busting concrete with a sledge hammer (the method I just used) to renting a wet saw and making it easier - to having a pro do the cutting for you....

You're gonna have to cut into the slab and make about a 2ft X 11 ft cutout to make room for your new plumbing. This can be a bear! I just finished a 3ft X 2ft cutout using a circular saw/masonry blade/sledge hammer. While not difficult, it was a lot of work and involved mucho Ben Gay afterwards - not to mention a mess in the basement and a lot of dust/smell in the house for 24 hours.

If you decide to "get after it" yourself... let me know... I'll give you what pointers I can....

Not a pro........ but do lots of projects and good at "making do" while being legal!

Finnegan

Reaction score
For the most part, it involves the cutting of the slab. To do that I recommend thinking long and hard where you want to relocate the fixtures so you only have to do it once. Rent a concrete cutting wet saw or hire someone to come in and cut the slab. It will cost you around $100 a day for the saw. You can cut the lines and then break up the slab with a sledge. Before you do that, however, I would make sure that your drains are deep enough under your slab to get them in the new location with the proper pitch and still keep them under the slab. You should not have a problem with 10', but I would check before you start cutting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks