Noisy Staircase

Users who are viewing this thread

Richrc1131

Reaction score
My house is over 100 years old and the staircase leading from the 1st floor to the 2nd is extremely squeaky. The top planks were replaced about 6 years ago, but now that I have an infant sleeping at the top of those stairs, I need to make them a little quieter.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

PS. I looked under the staircase and found that I have complete access underneath.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You should be able to sort this out if you can see it. I would look the steps, have someone walk up. See what moves when they step on the squeaky one. The solutions may lie in some wedges, srewed-up brackets, and even some well placed puffs of talcom powder sometimes can quiet wood squeaks.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
In my limited experience, squeaks in things you walk on originate from an installer using nails instead of screws.

I love screws. They're easier when I screw up too.

Seriously, I'll screw absolutely anything...
...even drywall.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

And I'll bet the nurse's loved giving you penicillin shots. One nurse decided, after the guy had been in there after almost every port, the he was going to get the most painful shots he had ever had from then on.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well,.... I somehow dodged that bullet. Never had to get any shots. Most of the stuff over there now is totally immune to penicillin anyway!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks